手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

女性将如何带领我们迈向自由、正义与和平

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I was the first woman president of an African nation.

我是非洲国家的首位女性总统。
And I do believe more countries ought to try that.
我认为,应当有更多国家尝试让女性担任领导。
Once the glass ceiling has been broken, it can never be put back together -- however one would try to do that.
一旦这种无形的屏障被打破,形势则势不可挡--而女性则可以崭露头角。
When I assumed the presidency of Liberia in January 2006, we faced the tremendous challenges of a post-conflict nation:
当我在2006年1月担任利比亚总统的时候,作为一个刚刚结束国内冲突的国家,我们面临着巨大的挑战:
collapsed economy, destroyed infrastructure, dysfunctional institutions, enormous debt, bloated civil service.
处于崩溃边缘的经济、毁坏殆尽的基础设施、丧失效力的制度、巨额的债务以及臃肿的行政管理体系。
We also faced the challenges of those left behind.
我们也面临着落后群体带来的诸多挑战。
The primary victims of all civil wars: women and children.
作为内战的主要受害者:妇女和儿童。
On my first day in office, I was excited and I was exhausted. It had been a very long climb to where I was.
在我上任的第一天,我很兴奋,但同时也精疲力竭,这是一段漫长而艰辛的道路。
Women had been those who suffered most in our civil conflict, and women had been the ones to resolve it.
女性是在内战冲突中遭受苦难最多的群体,同时女性也是有能力解决这一问题的群体。
Our history records many women of strength and action.
我们的史料记载了许多女性的努力和行动。
A President of the United Nations General Assembly, a renowned circuit court judge, a president of the University of Liberia.
联合国大会的一名主席,一名著名的巡回法院法官,一位利比里亚大学校长。
I knew that I had to form a very strong team with the capacity to address the challenges of our nation.
我知道自己必须打造一个强有力的团队,能够克服我们国家所面临的挑战。
And I wanted to put women in all top positions. But I knew that was not possible.
而且我希望女性们身居要位。但我知道那不太可能。
And so I settled for putting them in strategic positions.
因此我决定把她们放在具有战略意义的岗位。
I recruited a very able economist from the World Bank to be our minister of finance, to lead our debt-relief effort.
我从世界银行招募了一位很能干的经济学家担任金融部长,领导我们的债务减免工作。
Another to be the minister of foreign affairs, to reactivate our bilateral and multilateral relationships.
另一位女性担任外交部部长,重启我们的双边与多边外交关系。
The first woman chief of police to address the fears of our women, who had suffered so much during the civil war.
首位女警察局长来安抚那些女性群体的恐惧情绪,她们在内战中备受煎熬。
Another to be the minister of gender, to be able to ensure the protection and the participation of women.
还邀请了一位担任性别部长,旨在确保女性获得保护和参与权。
Over time, the minister of justice, the minister of public works, the minister of agriculture, the minister of commerce and industry.
后来,我还任命了女性司法部长、公共事务部长、农业部长和工商部长。
Participation in leadership was unprecedented in my administration.
国家领导权的女性参与度在我的任期中达到了前所未有的高度。
And although I knew that there were not enough women with the experience to form an all-women cabinet -- as I wanted
尽管我知道有相关经验的女性少之又少,不足以组成全女性内阁--正如我设想的一样,
I settled to appoint numerous women in junior ministerial positions, as executives, as administrators,
我决定提名大量女性担任各类初级的部长职位,诸如行政领导管理者,
in local government, in diplomatic service, in the judiciary, in public institutions. It worked.
让她们的身影遍及地方政府、外交服务部门、司法机构、公共服务机构。该举措已被证明是行之有效的。
At the end of 2012, our economic growth had peaked at nine percent.
截至2012年年底,我们的经济增速达到了9%。
Our infrastructure was being reconstructed at a very fast pace.
我们的基础设施以极快速度得以重建。
Our institutions were functioning again. Our debt of 4.9 billion had been largely canceled.
我们的政府机构恢复了正常运转。我们高达49亿的债务被大幅减免。
We had good relationships with the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the African Development Bank.
我们和国际货币基金组织、世界银行和非洲发展银行都建立了良好的关系。
We also had good working relationships with all our sister African countries and many nations all over the world.
我们同时与非洲姊妹国家以及全世界的许多国家建立了健康的合作发展关系。

女性将如何带领我们迈向自由、正义与和平

Our women could sleep peacefully at night again, without fear.

我们的女性朋友们又能在夜晚安然入睡,而不再感到恐惧了。
Our children were smiling again, as I promised them during my first inaugural address.
我们的孩子们笑颜可以再次绽放,一如我在就职演讲中所承诺的一样。
The reputation and credibility of our nation, lost in the many years of conflict, were restored.
我们国家在连年的冲突内战中消失殆尽的声誉和信用,也得以修复和重建。
But progress is never guaranteed. And in our legislature, in my first term, women were 14 percent.
而发展进步却从未获得承诺和保证。但在我首届任期中的立法机构里,女性席位占比14%。
In the second term, it declined to eight percent, because the environment was increasingly toxic.
而在第二届任期,女性占比减少到了8%,因为机构作风越来越腐化。
I had my fair shares of criticism and toxicity. Nobody is perfect.
当然我有相当一部分责任,毕竟人无完人。
But there's nothing more predictable than a strong woman who wants to change things, who's brave to speak out, who's bold in action.
然而更为确定和可预期的是,一名强悍的女性希望去改变过去的旧有事物,敢于发声,并无畏地展开行动。
But I'm OK with the criticism. I know why I made the decisions I made, and I'm happy with the results.
而我可以接受批评,也清楚自己做出决定的原因所在,也对结果感到欣喜。
But that's why more women leaders are needed.
但这也是需要更多女性领袖的原因。
For there will always be those who will tear us down, who will tear us apart, because they want the status quo to remain.
因为总是会有对我们提出质疑的人们,他们会摧毁我们,因为他们希望维持现状。
Although sub-Saharan Africa has had major breakthroughs in women's leadership and participation,
尽管沙哈拉以南非洲已经在女性领导权和参与性方面取得重大突破,
particularly in the legislature -- in parliament, as it's called
尤其是在立法权上--在议会中,就像倡导的那样
so many women, 50 percent and over, one of our nations, well over 60 percent, the best in the world, but we know that's not enough.
如此众多的女性,半数或更多,民族之林中的一个,有超过60%,世界上表现最亮眼,但我们知道这还不够。
While we must be very thankful and applaud the progress we have made, we know that there is much more work to be done.
但我们依然非常感谢,并为我们取得的进步鼓掌欢庆,我们清楚要做的工作依然很多。
The work will have to address the lingering vestiges of structural... something against women.
要解决依然存在的结构性遗留问题...一些歧视或不利于女性的问题。
In too many places, political parties are based on patronage,
在很多地方,政党极度依赖赞助资金,
patriarchy, misogyny that try to keep women from their rightful places, that shut them out from taking leadership positions.
男权主义和厌女观都在极力阻止女性占据的位置,并将她们隔离在领导岗位之外。
Too often, women face -- while the best performers, while equal or better in competence -- unequal pay.
通常情况下,即使是表现优异的女性,拥有同等能力甚至能力更强,也面临着同工不同酬的问题。
And so we must continue to work to change things. We must be able to change the stereotyping.
因此我们需要继续努力改变这样的状况。我们要改变这种刻板印象。
We must be able to ensure that those structural barriers that have kept women from being able to have the equity they rightfully deserve.
要尽可能确保移除这种阻碍了她们理应享受的平权待遇的结构性障碍。
And we must also work with men.
同时我们需要和男性合作。
Because increasingly, there is recognition that full gender equity will ensure a stronger economy, a more developed nation, a more peaceful nation.
因为我们越来越能达成共识,即全面的性别平等将带来更强健的经济发展、更繁荣的国家以及更和平稳定的国家。
And that is why we must continue to work. And that is why we're partners.
这就是我们一定要继续努力的原因,也是我们需要合作伙伴的原因。
I will be launching a Center for Women and Development that will bring together,
我将成立一个妇女与发展中心并联合,
women who have started and are committed to their joining of leadership.
那些开始和致力于集结领导力的女性。
With women who have excelled and advanced in leadership together.
那些在领导力方面有着更加出色表现的女性。
Over a 10-year period, we strongly believe that we will create this wave of women
我们坚信,在十年内,我们将掀起一次女性浪潮,
who are prepared to take, unabashedly, intentional leadership and influence throughout society.
而推动这一浪潮的,正是那些做好准备、勇敢无畏,并在全社会有意识的发挥领导作用和影响力的女性。
This is why at 81, I cannot retire.
这也是为什么尽管已是耄耋之年,我依然不能退休。
Women are working for change in Africa. Women are working for change throughout the world.
在非洲,女性正在为变革而努力。全世界的女性都在为变革而努力。
I will be with them, and one of them, forever.
我会永远与她们并肩,共同战斗。
Thank you for listening. Go out and change the world.
感谢聆听。走出去改变世界吧。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
numerous ['nju:mərəs]

想一想再看

adj. 为数众多的,许多

联想记忆
tear [tiə]

想一想再看

n. 眼泪,(撕破的)洞或裂缝,撕扯
vt.

联想记忆
reactivate [ri'æktiveit]

想一想再看

v. 使重新活跃,恢复活动

 
applaud [ə'plɔ:d]

想一想再看

vi. 拍手喝采
vt. 称赞,鼓掌

联想记忆
strategic [strə'ti:dʒik]

想一想再看

adj. 战略的,重要的,基本的

 
peaceful ['pi:sfəl]

想一想再看

adj. 安宁的,和平的

 
conflict ['kɔnflikt]

想一想再看

n. 冲突,矛盾,斗争,战斗
vi. 冲突,争

联想记忆
toxic ['tɔksik]

想一想再看

adj. 有毒的
n. 有毒物质

联想记忆
commerce ['kɔmə:s]

想一想再看

n. 商业,贸易

联想记忆
primary ['praiməri]

想一想再看

adj. 主要的,初期的,根本的,初等教育的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。