手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

如何在危机中展现领导力

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

We think of a great leader as the unwavering captain who guides us forward through challenge and complexity.

我们认为,伟大的领导者就像一个坚定的船长,穿越挑战和复杂状况指引我们前进。
Confident, unwavering leaders, armed with data and past experience have long been celebrated in business and politics alike.
拥有着过往的经历和经验,自信、坚毅的领导者,长期以来在商业和政治领域都享有盛誉。
But sometimes and certainly now, a crisis comes along that is so new and so urgent that it upends everything we thought we knew.
但有时,特别是现在,危机来临,未知且紧迫,同时颠覆我们所有认知。
One thing we know for sure is that more upheavals are coming.
有件事情我们确定无疑,那就是更多的动荡即将来临。
In a completely interconnected world a single political uprising, a viral video, a distant tsunami,
在一个完全互联的世界里,一次的政治动乱,一个热门视频,一场遥远的海啸,
or a tiny virus can send shock waves around the world.
亦或是小小的病毒都能在全世界掀起滔天巨浪。
Upheaval creates fear, and in the midst of it people crave security,
动荡带来恐惧,而身处其中人们渴望安全,
which can incline leaders toward the usual tropes of strength, confidence, constancy, but it won't work.
使得领导者们更倾向去展现惯用的力量、信心和毅力,但现在行不通了。
We have to flip the leadership playbook.
我们需要推翻这种领导力指导手册。
First, this type of leadership requires communicating with transparency, communicating often.
首先,这种类型的领导力要求沟通中信息透明、沟通及时。
So how can leaders lead when there is so little certainty, so little clarity?
在不确定性极大时,领导者如何领导?
Whether you are a CEO, a prime minister, a middle manager or even a head of school, upheaval means you have to ramp up the humility.
无论你是首席执行官、首相、中层管理,还是一名校长,动荡意味着你必须虚心求教。
When what you know is limited, pretending that you have the answers isn't helpful.
当知道的东西有限,假装你知道答案是没有帮助的。
Amidst upheaval, leaders must share what they know and admit what they don't know.
在动荡中,领导者一定要分享他们所知,并承认自己不知道的。
Paradoxically, that honesty creates more psychological safety for people, not less.
有悖常理的是,坦诚沟通给人们带来更多的心理安全感,而不是更少。
For example when the pandemic devastated the airline industry virtually overnight,
举个例子,当疫情在一夜之间给航空业带来摧毁性打击,
CEO of Delta Airlines Ed Bastian ramped up employee communication despite having so little clarity about the path ahead, facing truly dire results.
达美航空的CEO艾德·巴斯蒂安尽管对未来的走向知之甚少,面临着真正严峻的后果,依然加强员工沟通。
At one point in 2020, losing over a hundred million dollars a day,
2020年的某个时间点,他们一天损失一亿美金,
it would have been far easier for Bastian to wait for more information before taking action,
采取行动前获取更多信息对巴斯蒂安或许来得更容易些,
but effective leaders during upheaval don't hide in the shadows.
但在动荡时期,高效的领导者们并不会躲在角落。
In fact, as Bastian put it, it is far more important to communicate when you don't have the answers than when you do.
事实上,正如巴斯蒂安所说,当你心中一团迷雾时,及时沟通尤为重要。
Second, act with urgency despite incomplete information.
第二,尽管信息不全,也要采取紧急行动。
Admitting you don't have the answers does not mean avoiding action.
承认你没有解决方案,并不意味着不做行动。

如何在危机中展现领导力

While it's natural to want more information, fast action is often the only way to get more information.

希望获得更多信息乃是人之天性,而迅速行动有时是获取更多信息的唯一途径。
Worse, inaction leaves people feeling lost and unstable.
更糟的是,不作为会让人们感觉迷茫和不安。
When New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern laid out a four level alert system very early in the COVID-19 crisis,
在新西兰首相杰辛达·阿德恩在应对新冠疫情时,很早就启动四级应急响应,
she lacked information with which to set the level.
她也缺失设定级别依据的信息。
Despite lacking answers, she did not wait to communicate about the threat with the nation.
对于国家面临的威胁,尽管缺乏信息,她没有等闲视之。
At first she set the level at two, only to change it to four two days later as cases rose.
起初她把级别设定为二级,随着情况发展,两天后就升级为四级。
That triggered a national lockdown, which no doubt saved countless lives.
由此引发了全国性封锁,毫无疑问这项举措挽救了无数人的生命。
Later, when cases began to dissipate, she made subsequent decisions reflecting that new information.
后来,情况开始好转,她根据新形势的变化做出了相应的决策。
Third, leaders must hold purpose and values steady, even as goals and situations change.
第三,领导人必须抱持稳定的愿景和价值观,即使具体目标和情况发生改变。
Values can be your guiding light when everything else is up in the air.
当一切都在扑朔迷离之中,价值观就是你的指路明灯。
If you care about customer experience, don't let go of that in times of upheaval.
如果你关注客户的体验,不要在动荡时期放弃它。
If a core value is health and safety, put that at the center of every decision you make.
如果核心价值是健康和安全,将它放在你做的每个决策的核心位置。
Now doing this requires being very transparent about what your values are,
做到这点需要你对你的价值观非常透明,
and in this way, your steadfastness shows not in your plans but in your values.
践行此道,你的坚定不仅展现在你的计划书中,而且深植于你的价值观中。
Prime Minister Ardern's clear purpose all along was protecting human life.
首相阿德恩自始至终的明确宗旨是保护人民的生命。
Even as the immediate goal shifted from preventing illness to preparing health systems and ultimately to bolstering the economy.
尽管直接目标由阻止疫情传播转变为落实配套医疗系统,到最终促进经济发展。
And finally, give power away. Our instincts are to hold even more tightly to control in times of upheaval, but it backfires.
最后,分享权力。我们的本能是在动荡时期应该更紧握住权力,但事实相反。
One of the most effective ways to show leadership, if counterintuitive, is to share power with those around you.
展现领导力最为有效的方式之一,有点儿反直觉,就是与你周围的人分权。
Doing this requires asking for help, being clear that you can't do it alone.
做到这点需要寻求他人帮助,要清楚独木难成林。
This also provokes innovation while giving people a sense of meaning.
在赋予人们意义感时,也会激发创造力。
Nothing is worse in a crisis than feeling like there's nothing you can do to help.
在危机时感到自己无能为力,这才是最糟糕的情形。
We follow this new kind of leader through upheaval, because we have confidence not in their map but in their compass.
我们跟随这样的新型领导渡过危机,因为我们的信心不是来自于领导的线路图,却是他们的愿景指南针。
We believe they've chosen the right direction given the current information, and that they will keep updating.
我们相信他们在现有情况下选择了正确的方向,而且他们会持续更新。
Most of all, we trust them and we want to help them in finding and refinding the path forward.
最重要的是,我们信任他们,我们希望帮助他们找到和重新找到前进的道路。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
confidence ['kɔnfidəns]

想一想再看

adj. 骗得信任的
n. 信任,信心,把握

联想记忆
threat [θret]

想一想再看

n. 威胁,凶兆
vt. 威胁, 恐吓

 
celebrated ['selibreitid]

想一想再看

adj. 著名的,声誉卓著的 动词celebrate的过

联想记忆
immediate [i'mi:djət]

想一想再看

adj. 立即的,即刻的,直接的,最接近的

联想记忆
unstable ['ʌn'steibl]

想一想再看

adj. 不稳定的,易变的

 
honesty ['ɔnisti]

想一想再看

n. 诚实,正直

 
clarity ['klæriti]

想一想再看

n. 清楚,透明

 
crave [kreiv]

想一想再看

v. 渴望,热望,恳求

联想记忆
communication [kə.mju:ni'keiʃn]

想一想再看

n. 沟通,交流,通讯,传达,通信

 
devastated ['devəsteitid]

想一想再看

adj. 毁坏的;极为震惊的 v. 毁坏;摧毁(deva

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。