手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

肥胖越来越普遍,肥胖是一种病吗?(下)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Let me be clear.

让我说清楚一点,

We humans have had the same genes for decades.

我们人类几十年来有着相同的基因。

And just recently, obesity has become a bigger problem.

但近年来,肥胖变成了一个大问题。

How do we then explain that?

我们应该怎么解释呢?

One obvious thing is actually food, especially calorie-rich food, which is much more readily available.

一个很明显的事实是食物,尤其是高卡路里的食物,更唾手可得。

It's relatively easy and also relatively cheap to eat your entire daily need of calories by a fast food or big soft drinks.

吃快餐和饮料更容易也更便宜让人们可以作为日常卡路里的摄取。

So genes do play a role, but the environment also plays a huge role.

虽然基因起了作用,但是环境也是一个很大的因素。

The overabundance of calories in certain communities is a relatively new thing, and our genes haven't quite adapted yet.

在一些社区里,卡路里过多的食物是一项新奇的事物,并且我们的基因也未能适应。

In the history of feast and famine, genetic selection has prepared us much better for famine, and for good reason.

历史上的盛宴和饥荒,基因选择为我们更好的适应饥荒,这是有充分理由的。

Starvation is bad, but you could also argue obesity is bad.

饥荒是不好的,你可以说肥胖也是不好的。

And if obesity is a disease, how do we then prevent, treat or even cure it?

如果肥胖是疾病,我们应该怎样预防,治疗甚至治愈呢?

I believe that the brain holds the key.

我相信大脑是关键。

I have always been fascinated with how small electrical signals in discrete parts of the brain lead to big behavioral changes.

我一直相信大脑里离散部分的小电子信号可以导致大的行为改变。

And my study of the brain led me to Glucagon-Like Peptide 1, or GLP-1 for short.

我对大脑的研究让我认识到胰高血糖素样肽1,或简称GLP-1。

GLP-1 is a hormone and a signal molecule that is produced both in the gut and in the brain.

GLP-1是一种激素和信号分子它可以在肠道和大脑中产生。

The brain speaks to the gut and the gut speaks to the brain.

大脑和肠道相互交流。

Yes, that's right.

是的。

Your belly and your brain are literally connected.

你的大脑和肠道理论上是连在一起的。

Our research led us to see that GLP-1 has an effect on nerve cells sitting in areas that control whether we eat or not.

我们的研究使我们看到GLP-1对神经细胞的影响,不管我们是不是在吃东西。

So, for instance, if we increase the level of GLP-1, the body's desire to eat or overeat food gets turned off.

例如,如果我们增加GLP-1的水平,身体里想要吃或者暴食的欲望就被关闭了。

GLP-1 serves as the full signal in your car's gas tank.

GLP-1就像是你汽车里油箱的充满信号。

I've spent years and decades mapping the circuitry of GLP-1 and how GLP-1 interacts with other signal molecules and hormones.

我花了几年和几十年绘制GLP-1的电路图以及GLP-1如何与其他分子和激素互动。

All of these things go together and control food intake, body weight and the control of eating behavior.

这些事情一起控制食物的摄入,体重和饮食习惯。

And what does that all mean?

这一切意味着什么呢?

Well, today, we have engineered and studied the molecule, so we now have a molecule that can lead to a significant weight loss.

现在我们研究并设计了分子,这个分子可以对减重有很重要的影响。

Obviously, GLP-1 is not the whole answer.

显然,GLP-1并不是问题的全部答案。

We and others have discovered numerous hormones and other signal molecules that are also pivotal for the regulation of food intake and body weight.

我和其他人已经发现了多种激素和其他信号分子可以监管和规范食物的摄入和体重。

And it may end up that these signal molecules and hormones are even more important than GLP-1.

所以这些信号分子和激素的作用甚至会比GLP-1更重要。

So . . . There's plenty for us to do.

所以,我们还有很多的事情要去做。

There's still plenty for us to explore.

还有很多方面还等着我们去探索。

So this is not the end.

所以研究还没有结束。

It's not even the beginning to the end.

这甚至都还没有开始。

But perhaps this may be the end to the beginning.

但也许是初阶段结束而已。

We may have a massive weight crisis on the planet today, but the good news is we are on the right path.

在这个星球上,我们可能会有很大的体重危机,但好消息是,我们在正确的轨道上。

We now have solutions for people living with obesity, and the next steps will be to understand even better the problems people living with obesity are facing.

我们现在有了针对肥胖人的办法,下一步我们需要更好的了解那些有肥胖问题的人面对的是什么。

To understand even better how genes and environment play together.

更好地理解基因和环境如何共同发挥作用。

And understand, finally, how all these things come together and determine our body weight.

并且理解,这些事情最后是怎样结合在一起去决定我们的体重。

Then, and maybe just then, we will be able to come up with a prevention, a treatment or even a cure for people living with obesity, like we strive for with any other chronic disease.

也许在那个时候,我们能更好的想出预防措施,以及治疗甚至是治愈肥胖人的方法,就像我们为其他慢性病努力一样。

And this — this still remains our audacious life's goal.

这仍然是我们无畏的人生目标。

Thank you.

谢谢大家!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
prevent [pri'vent]

想一想再看

v. 预防,防止

联想记忆
discrete [di'skri:t]

想一想再看

adj. 不连续的,离散的

联想记忆
prevention [pri'venʃən]

想一想再看

n. 阻止,妨碍,预防

 
tank [tæŋk]

想一想再看

n. 坦克,箱,罐,槽,贮水池
vt. 把 .

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
massive ['mæsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,大规模的,大量的,大范围的

 
determine [di'tə:min]

想一想再看

v. 决定,决心,确定,测定

联想记忆
explore [iks'plɔ:]

想一想再看

v. 探险,探测,探究

联想记忆
signal ['signl]

想一想再看

n. 信号,标志
v. (发信号)通知、表示<

联想记忆
molecule ['mɔlikju:l]

想一想再看

n. 分子

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。