For a moment the last sunshine fell with romantic affection upon her glowing face;
最后一缕阳光带着浪漫的氛围在她容光焕发的脸上停留了片刻;
her voice compelled me forward breathlessly as I listened —
她的声音使我屏息向前听着——
then the glow faded, each light deserting her with lingering regret,
随后,灯光暗淡下来,每一盏灯都依依不舍地离开了她,
like children leaving a pleasant street at dusk.
就像孩子们在黄昏时离开愉快的街道一样。
The butler came back and murmured something close to Tom's ear,
管家回来了,在汤姆耳边嘀咕了几句,
whereupon Tom frowned, pushed back his chair, and without a word went inside.
于是汤姆皱起了眉头,把椅子往后推了推,一言不发地走了进去。
As if his absence quickened something within her,
仿佛是他的离去让她活跃了起来,
Daisy leaned forward again, her voice glowing and singing.
黛西又向前探了探身子,她的声音抑扬顿挫着。
“I love to see you at my table, Nick. You remind me of a — of a rose,
“我很高兴在餐桌上见到你,尼克。你让我想起一朵玫瑰,
an absolute rose. Doesn't he?”
一朵真正的玫瑰。是不是?”
She turned to Miss Baker for confirmation: “An absolute rose?”
她转向贝克小姐求证:“一朵真正的玫瑰?”
This was untrue.
这是瞎说。
I am not even faintly like a rose.
我一点也不像一朵玫瑰。
She was only extemporizing, but a stirring warmth flowed from her,
她只是在乱说,但她心里却涌起一股激动的暖流,
as if her heart was trying to come out to you concealed in one of those breathless, thrilling words.
仿佛她的心要在你面前流露出来,藏在那些令人屏息的、令人激动的话语里。
Then suddenly she threw her napkin on the table and excused herself and went into the house.
然后她突然把餐巾扔在桌上,告辞离开,走进屋里。
Miss Baker and I exchanged a short glance consciously devoid of meaning.
贝克小姐和我交换了一下眼色,意味不明。
I was about to speak when she sat up alertly and said “Sh!” in a warning voice.
我正要说话,她警觉地坐起来说:“嘘!”她用警告的声音说。
A subdued impassioned murmur was audible in the room beyond,
可以听见远处房间里有一种压抑的、激动的低语声,
and Miss Baker leaned forward unashamed, trying to hear.
贝克小姐毫无顾忌地向前探着身子,想听听。
The murmur trembled on the verge of coherence, sank down, mounted excitedly, and then ceased altogether.
杂音在连贯的边缘颤抖着,低沉下来,音调又突然涨上去,然后完全停止了。
“This Mr. Gatsby you spoke of is my neighbor ——” I said.
“你说的盖茨比先生是我的邻居——”我说。
“Don't talk. I want to hear what happens.”
“不要说话。我想听听发生了什么事。”
“Is something happening?” I inquired innocently.
“是出了事吗?”我天真地问道。
“You me an to say you don't know?” said Miss Baker, honestly surprised.
“难道说你不知道吗?”贝克小姐说,着实吃了一惊。
“I thought everybody knew.”
“我以为大家都知道了。”
“I don't.”
“我不知道。”
“Why ——” she said hesitantly, “Tom's got some woman in New York.”
“怎么——”她迟疑地说,“汤姆在纽约有个女人。”
“Got some woman?” I repeated blankly.
“有个女人?“我茫然地重复道。
Miss Baker nodded.
贝克小姐点点头。
“She might have the decency not to telephone him at dinner time. Don't you think?”
“她应该懂得礼貌,不在吃饭时给他打电话。你不觉得吗?”