手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

核能是摒弃化石燃料的最大希望(下)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

By the way, most think nuclear energy waste looks like this.

顺便说一句,大多数人认为核废料是这样的。

It actually looks like this.

但实际上,它看起来是这样的。

Fully contained in concrete casks that are so good at blocking radiation I might do a photo shoot there.

完全装在混凝土桶里,这些桶能很好地防辐射,因此我可以在那里拍照。

Now, a more modern objection to nuclear power is that it's too slow.

现在,反对核能的一个更新潮的理由是它太慢了。

It takes too long to build.

建造核电站的耗时太长。

Well, I'm sure Isodope has something to say about that.

我相信Isodope对此一定有话要说。

Finally, an argument that isn't older than me.

最后,回应一个最近出现的观点。

Unfortunately, it still sucks.

不幸的是,这个观点还是很糟糕。

In the '70s, France built 45 reactors in 15 years.

上世纪70年代,法国在15年内建造了45座核反应堆。

More recently, Japan, China and Korea have built reactors in six years or less.

最近,日本、中国和韩国用六年甚至更短的时间就建成了反应堆。

So this means BTS is blow-drying their hair with clean energy.

这说明防弹少年团吹头发用的是清洁能源。

Even if it takes 10 years to build one, nuclear power plants can make clean and reliable electricity for at least 80 years.

即使建造一座核电站需要10年时间,它可以在至少80年内提供可靠、清洁的电力。

This - This idea that it takes too long to build plants is confusing, considering we're going to need energy forever.

我们对能源的需求是永恒的,所以我不明白为什么人们用建造核电站太耗时来反对它。

You know, the best time to build nuclear plants was 10 years ago.

建造核电站的最佳时期是10年前。

The next best time is today.

下一个最佳时机就是现在。

Now we've finally arrived at the most fashionable objection at the moment: nuclear power is too expensive.

现在,我们终于说到了目前反对核电站最时髦的理由:核能太贵了。

I'm going to take that one.

这一点让我本人来回应。

A little weird to say something is too expensive to save the future of our species, but I get it, cost matters.

认为能够拯救人类未来的东西太昂贵这个观点有点奇怪,但我能理解,成本很重要。

Here's the thing.

但事情是这样的。

We know how to make clean energy cheaper.

我们知道让清洁能源更便宜的方法。

It's not rocket science.

这不是什么难事。

You build the same thing over and over and over.

只要不停建设就可以。

Solar, 10 years ago, was also considered "too expensive," but we decided it was cool and invested in it.

10年前,太阳能也“过于昂贵”,但我们认为它很酷,并对其进行了投资。

Like magic, the costs have dropped by 90 percent.

就像变魔术一样,太阳能的成本下降了90%。

One way to make nuclear cheaper is with small modular reactors like these.

降低核能成本的一种方法是使用像这样的小型模块化反应堆。

China just finished building their own version.

中国刚刚完成了他们自己的版本。

Poland will use a similar technology to convert their aging coal plants into nuclear plants.

波兰将使用类似的技术将老化的燃煤电厂改造成核电站。

They'll use the same building, the same transmission lines, even retrain the same workers.

他们将使用原有的建筑,原有的电力传输线路,甚至保留原有的工人,对他们进行再培训。

But now making clean energy instead of buying dirty fuels from dictators.

现在,荷兰能够自己生产清洁能源,而无需从独裁者那里购买肮脏的化石燃料。

Which leads me to a crazy idea.

这让我产生了一个疯狂的想法。

What if instead of viewing nuclear power as destructive, we view it as a force for energy independence and even peace.

如果我们不把核能视为洪水猛兽,而是把它视为一种能够推动能源独立甚至和平的力量,那会怎么样?

What if this technology offers our best hope for the future?

如果这项技术能够我们的未来带来无限希望呢?

A future where wars aren't funded by our addiction to fossil fuels.

在这样的未来,我们不会因争夺化石燃料发动战争。

A future where energy is clean.

我们拥有清洁的能源。

A future where electricity finally makes its way to the 700 million people on Earth who still don't have access to it.

电力最终将惠及地球上仍用不上电的那7亿人。

The idea that nuclear power is bad is costing us that future.

认为核电不好的想法正在让我们失去这种未来。

And it's time to let go of it.

现在是时候抛弃这种想法了。

I'm not asking you to build a reactor.

我不是要你去建造反应堆。

I'm not asking you to rewrite "The Simpsons."

也不是要你重写《辛普森一家》。

I'm not even asking you to sign a petition on Change.org.

我甚至不要求你去Change.org签请愿书。

All I'm asking you is to please, join me in spreading the meme.

我只想请你,和我一起传播这个想法。

Nuclear energy is cool.

核能很酷。

Thank you.

谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
independence [.indi'pendəns]

想一想再看

n. 独立,自主,自立

 
confusing [kən'fju:ziŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 使人困惑的,令人费解的 动词confuse的现

 
radiation [.reidi'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 辐射,放射线

 
petition [pi'tiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 祈求,请愿书,诉状
vi. 请愿,祈求<

联想记忆
fashionable ['fæʃənəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 流行的,时髦的

联想记忆
convert ['kɔnvə:t,kən'və:t]

想一想再看

v. 变换,(使)转变,使 ... 改变信仰,倒置,兑换

联想记忆
reliable [ri'laiəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可靠的,可信的

 
objection [əb'dʒekʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反对,异议

联想记忆
destructive [di'strʌktiv]

想一想再看

adj. 破坏性的,有害的

联想记忆
addiction [ə'dikʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沉溺,上瘾

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。