手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA名师答疑 > 正文

“heads up”你知道是什么意思吗?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Each week we answer questions about American English from readers from outside the United States.

每周,我们都会回答来自美国以外的读者对有关美式英语的提问。

But today we answer a question from the American state of Alabama. Khan writes:

但今天,我们将回答来自美国阿拉巴马州的读者提问。卡恩写道:

Could you tell me what else I can use instead of "heads up"?

您能告诉我可以用什么替代“heads up”吗?

That term is considered informal; therefore, I would like to know the formal word for "heads up." Thanks. --Khan, Alabama

该词语被认为是非正式的。因此,我想知道表达“heads up”含义的正式说法。谢谢。

Dear Khan,Thank you for writing.

你好卡恩,感谢你的来信。

Let us look closely at this expression and other ways to say it.

让我们仔细研究“heads up”这个表达方式以及其他表达此含义的说法。

As you said, the term "heads up" is informal.

正如您所说,词语“heads up”是非正式的。

However, it is so common in American English that we use it in almost every situation.

但它在美式英语中很常见,我们几乎在任何情况下都会使用到它。

"Heads up" can be used as a noun.

“heads up”可以用作名词。

It sends a message that says something is going to happen.

它传达信息,表示某事即将发生。

Here is an example: She gave him a heads up that the company's president would be visiting the office.

例如:“她警告他说,公司总裁将会到办公室。”

Also, you can ask for a "heads up" by asking someone to report when they are in the process of doing something.

同样,你可以要求得到“通知”,让某人在做某事的过程中进行报告。

Can you give me a heads up about how much time you will need for that project?

“您能告诉我该项目你需要多少时间吗?”

You might also hear someone say, "Thanks for the heads up!" This means, "Thanks for letting me know!"

你可能还会听到有人说:“感谢提醒!” 也就是说,“谢谢通知我!”

It is worth noting that "heads up" is a common expression Americans use with friends, family, coworkers and even in business meetings.

值得注意的是,短语“heads up”是美国人在与朋友、家人、同事交流甚至在商务会议中常用的表达方式。

But there are other ways to express the idea. One word you can use in place of "heads up" is "warn:"

但还有其他表达此含义的方法。你可以使用单词“warn”来代替“heads up”:

She warned him that the company's president would be visiting the office.

“她警告他说,公司总裁将会到办公室。”

Another way to express the idea is with the word "let" when you want to give or get information:

另一种表达“heads up”含义的方式是在你想要提供或获取信息时使用“let”一词:

Please let me know how much time you will need for that project.

“请让我知道该项目你需要多少时间。”

Imagine that your company is moving to a new office and your supervisor is sending you an email.

想象一下,你所在的公司正要搬到新办公楼,你的主管将要给你发送电子邮件。

The message could "make you aware" of something or "draw your attention" to something, as we hear in these examples:

邮件可能是“让你知晓”某事或“提醒你注意”某事,正如我们在以下示例中听到的:

I want to make you aware that we are moving our office.

“我想让您知道我们将要搬办公室。”

I wanted to draw your attention to the move of our office.

“我想提请您注意,我们办公室的搬迁。”

Khan, I hope that helps to answer your question about "heads up."

卡恩,希望这有助于回答你有关“heads up”的问题。

And that's Ask a Teacher for this week.

以上就是本期名师答疑的全部内容。

I'm Jill Robbins.

我是吉尔·罗宾斯。


发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。