But the next afternoon I remembered that Scudder had said a woman called Julia Czechenyi was the key to the Karolides business,
但是第二天下午,我想起斯卡德尔说过一个叫朱莉娅·采奇尼的女人是卡罗里德斯事件的关键,
so I tried her name as the code key.
因此,我试着用她的名字作解码的钥匙。
It was the answer. In half an hour I was reading, with a white face.
答案有了。我读了半个小时,惊得脸色煞白。
Suddenly, I heard the sound of a car stopping outside the hotel.
突然,我听到旅店门外汽车的刹车声。
Ten minutes later, my young friend came up to my room, his eyes bright with excitement.
十分钟后,年轻的朋友到我屋来,兴奋得两眼发光。
'There are two men looking for you, 'he whispered.
"有两个人正在找您,"他小声说。
They're downstairs now having a drink. They described you very well.
"现在在楼下喝水。他们把您的相貌说得一点儿不差。
I told them you had stayed here last night and had left this morning. '
我告诉他们您昨天晚上在这儿过夜了,今天早晨走的。"
I asked him to describe them.
我问他们什么长相。
One was a thin man with dark eyes, the other was always smiling and lisped.
一个是黑眼睛的瘦削男人,另一个总是满脸笑容,说话口齿不清。
They were both English; my young friend was certain of this.
他们都是英国人。这一点我这位年轻的朋友十分肯定。
I took a piece of paper and wrote these words in German.
我拿出一张纸,用德文写出下列的字。