'Not today, 'he said. 'Two hundred years ago, there were exciting people on the road,
"现在不行了,"他说。"二百年前路上过往的人多带劲,
but today there are only cars full of fat old women, and fishermen.
可现在满车都是胖女人和渔夫。
You can't make stories out of them.
您没法拿他们编故事。
I want to sail up an African river, or live in an Indian village-and write about things like that. '
我想在非洲一条河里扬帆而上,或者在印度的农村住下--写些像这样的事情。"
The hotel looked peaceful in the evening sun.
这家旅店在夕阳下宁静祥和。
'I've travelled a bit, 'I said, 'and I'd be happy to live in a peaceful place like this.
"我出过几次门,"我说,"要是能住在这样宁静的地方就够开心了。
And perhaps you're sitting next to adventure now.
而且现在惊险的事就在您身边。
I'll tell you a true story, and you can make a book of it if you like. '
让我给您讲个真事,如果您愿意,可以拿它写本书。"
I told him I was in the gold business in Africa, and I had discovered a group of international thieves.
我告诉他我在非洲做黄金生意,而且发现了一个国际盗窃集团。
They had chased me to England and had killed my best friend.
他们追我追到英格兰,而且把我的好朋友给杀了。
I described a chase across the desert, and an attack on the ship from Africa.
我给他绘声绘色地讲大漠追踪、非洲船上的袭击。
And I described the Langham Place murder in detail.
我又详细地讲了兰厄姆的谋杀。
'You want adventure, 'I said, 'well, here it is.
"您要听惊险的事,"我说,"这里就有。
The thieves are chasing me now, and the police are chasing them. '
这帮窃贼正在追杀我,而警察也正在追捕他们。"