The speaker was a young man who was very alarmed and very sorry.
说话的是个年轻人,他很吃惊也很歉疚。
I was more pleased than angry;it was a good way for the car to disappear.
我与其说愤懑不如说欣慰,汽车这样消失很不错。
'It's my fault, 'I told him. '
"这是我的错,"我对他说。
That's the end of my holiday, but that's better than the end of my life!'
"这一下假期算完了,但总比命没了好!"
He looked at his watch. 'I'm in a hurry, but my house is very near.
他看了看表。"我正忙着,但我家很近。
Let me give you some food and a bed. But what about your luggage? Is it in the river? '
让我给您提供吃住吧。可是您的行李怎么办?掉在河里了?"
'It's in my pocket, 'I said. 'I'm from Australia, so I never carry much luggage. '
"行李在我口袋里,"我说。"我从澳大利亚来,从来不多带行李。"
'From Australia, 'he cried. 'You're just the man I need. '
"从澳大利亚来,"他叫了起来。"我正需要您这么个人。"
We got into his car and in three minutes we were at his very comfortable house.
我们坐上他的车,三分钟就来到他那舒适的家。
He found some food for me.
他给我找了些吃的。
'You've only got five minutes, I'm afraid, but you can eat properly afterwards.
"恐怕您只能吃五分钟,不过以后您可以好好吃一顿。
We've got to be at the meeting at eight o'clock.
八点我们必须去开会。
You see, I'm a candidate for the election and I've got a problem tonight.
您知道,我是这次选举的候选人,而今天晚上我遇到个麻烦。