Chapter 8 The coming of the black stone
第8章 黑石来了
Ⅰ came down to breakfast the next morning and found Sir Walter reading a coded message.
第二天早晨我下楼吃早饭,看到瓦尔特爵士正在看密码信。
He seemed less relaxed than yesterday.
看来他没有昨天那么怡然自得。
I was very busy for an hour after you went to bed, 'he said.
"您上床之后我又忙了一个小时。"他说。
'I've arranged for the Frenchman, Royer, to come a day early.
"我安排一个叫罗耶的法国人早一天来。
He will be in London at five o'clock.
他五点钟就到伦敦。
I don't think the change of day will help very much.
但我觉得只变变日期没什么大用。
If our enemies already knew he was coming, they will probably find out that the plans have changed.
如果敌人已知道他要来的话,他们就可能发现计划已经变了。
I would love to know how the news of his visit escaped. '
要是知道他要来的消息是如何泄露出去的就好了。"
While I ate, he continued to talk.
我一边吃,他一边说。
I was surprised that he was telling me all these important secrets.
他把这么多重要的秘密都告诉我,出人意料。
'Can't the Navy's war plans be changed? 'I asked.
"海军的作战计划难道不能变一变吗?"我问道。
'They could, 'he said. 'But we want to avoid that.
"可以的,"他说。"但是我们尽量不变。
It would be very difficult, and some changes would be impossible.
变起来相当困难,而且有些变化是做不到的。
But the big problem is that they're not going to steal the plans in the street.
而最大的问题是他们不会在大街上偷这个计划。