手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

美墨边境 一个对人性的个人请愿

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

This one's personal. I know what it's like to have the government say, "We're going to kill you in the morning."

这是一个非常个人的演讲。我知道这是一个什么感受,当政府告诉你:“我们明早就要把你杀了。”
I know what it's like to leave a country on six hours' notice and land on someone's couch.
我知道当接到通知,被要求在6小时内离开国家,以及睡在别人家沙发上是什么感觉。
Because of that, I wrote a book on why countries do well and why they don't. Let me summarize 250 pages.
因为这些经历,我写了本书,关于为什么有些国家治理得好,而有些国家不。让我总结一下这250页。
Countries have to be compassionate, they have to be kind, they have to be smart, they have to be brave.
国家需要有怜悯之心,他们应当善良,他们应当聪慧,他们应当勇敢。
Want to know what doesn't work? When you govern through fear and you govern through cruelty, it just doesn't work.
想要知道什么行不通?当国家利用恐惧、使用残暴来统治,这就是行不通的。
You can play Genghis Khan for a while, you can play Stalin for a while, you can play Pinochet for a while.
你可以充当一会儿成吉思汗,你可以假装一会儿斯大林,你可以扮演一会儿皮诺切特。
It does not work in the long run.
但这都不能长久。
And it doesn't work in the long run because to govern through fear and cruelty, you have to create a division.
这不是长久之计,是因为为使用恐惧和暴力来统治,你需要建立一条“鸿沟”。
You have to take big chunks of the country and convince them that they're not like them.
你需要占领大块国家土地,并且说服他们:你们和他们不一样。
That they shouldn't associate with them, they shouldn't talk to them.
你们不应该和他们往来,你们不应该和他们说话。
That those people are nasty, those people are criminals, those people are rapists.
他们是令人厌恶的下等人,他们是罪犯,他们是强暴者。
And the country is in danger because of them.
因为他们,国家正处于危难。
And if you spend millions of dollars doing that in your country,
如果你花费千万人民币做这事,
you will make enemies abroad, and you will create divisions within. And that has consequences.
你会在国外树敌,你也会在国内建立无数分歧。这是有后果的。
Three quarters of the flags and the borders and the anthems around the United Nations today, they were not there a few decades ago.
今天的联合国中,有3/4的国旗、国界和国歌在几十年前,是没有的。
Those lines that are there today, those flags were created because somebody said,
如今,那些国界线的存在,那些旗帜的出现,是因为有人说:
"the Scotts are not like us," "the Welsh are not like us," "the Basques are not like us,"
“苏格兰人不是我们”,“威尔士人不属于我们”,“巴斯克人和我们不一样”,
"the northern Italians are not like us," "the Muslims are not like us," the blacks, the whites, the Christians.
“北意大利人有别于我们”,“穆斯林和我们没有关系”,黑人、白人,基督徒。
You create "us versus them" ... you destroy nations.
你建立起“我们vs.他们”这一概念便可摧毁国家。
Part of the problem from creating us versus them is it's hard to do.
建立“我们vs.他们”有部分问题很难做到。
What you have to do is you have to make people believe absurdities.
你要做的是让大家相信荒诞谬论。
And once people believe absurdities, then they start to commit atrocities.
一旦大家开始相信荒诞谬论,他们开始实施暴行。
That's the dynamic of this thing.
这就是这件事的动力因素。
You can't create "us versus them" -- you can't have the massacres you had in Rwanda,
你不能建立“我们vs.他们”,卢旺达不会发生大屠杀,
you can't have the massacres you had in Yugoslavia -- unless if you create this dynamic.
南斯拉夫也不会进行杀戮,除非你建立这个动力因素。
Let me summarize current immigration policy.
让我总结一下当前的移民政策。
Let's deter "Them" by being as cruel as we can possibly be, and let's target their children.
我们一起威慑“他们”吧!只要我们变得尽可能残忍,并且针对他们的孩子。
They are going after the children.
在针对他们的孩子啊!
You have US lawyers arguing that kids do not need soap or hugs or showers, adult help or a release date.
你有美国律师在辩论:孩子们不需要肥皂、拥抱或淋浴,大人的帮助或出狱日期。
Somebody gets pulled over for a broken tail light, who's worked here for 20 years,
有在这里工作了20年的人因为尾灯坏了,在路边被警察叫停,
gets thrown into jail, maybe for life, with no legal representation.
最终被送进监狱,没有法律代表,可能意味着终身监禁。
The terrorists that blew up the World Trade Center get lawyers.
炸毁世贸中心的恐怖分子请了律师。
These kids, these parents, they don't get lawyers.
但那些孩子和父母没有。
Governments are telling some of the most desperate, hurt people on earth,
政府对世上一些最绝望的最受伤害的人说,
"I took your child, pay me 800 dollars for a DNA test before you get it back." Three-year-olds are appearing in court.
“我劫持了你的孩子,给我八百美金做亲子鉴定,我再把孩子还你”。三岁的孩子出现在法庭上。
Look, we've all watched these courtroom dramas.
我们都看过法庭剧。
And it's exciting, because the wise judge sits up there,
非常刺激,因为明察善断的法官正襟危坐,
and the defense lawyer attacks and the prosecutor counterattacks, and then you figure out how it's going to happen.
被告律师辩护,检察官反击,于是你能猜测到接下来的剧情。
I want you to understand what is happening right now. Prosecutor's there -- it's the tough prosecutor.
我想让你理解现在正在发生的事。那里的检察官,是铁石心肠的检察官。
Accusing, attacking, on behalf of we the people.
代表我们人民,进行指控、辩论。
The judge is up there, Judge Muckety-muck, with his black robes, and he's questioning the defendant from up there.
高高在上的法官,官高爵显,身着黑色长袍,质问着被告人,在高台上。
And the defendant is three years old and the eyes don't reach the side of the table.
被告人,三岁,眼睛还不及桌面高度。
The defendant does not speak the language.
这个被告人不会说英语。
The earphones for the translator have fallen off the defendant's head,
被告人戴的翻译耳机掉了下来,
because there are no headphones for three-year-olds in US courtrooms, because they are not supposed to defend themselves.
因为在美国的法庭上没有给三岁小孩的耳机,因为他们根本还不该为自己辩护!
This makes a mockery of justice, it makes a mockery of the prosecution system, it makes a mockery of who we are as a nation.
这是对司法审判的嘲弄,这是对公诉制度的嘲笑,这是对我们作为一个国家的嘲讽。
These are absurdities. These are atrocities. This is unbelievable.
这些荒诞谬论,这些暴行,是令人难以置信的。
And we're looking at a bunch of statistics,
我们看着大量统计数据,
but I want you to understand, this is happening to the housekeeper who brought up your kids.
但我想要你明白,这正发生在抚养你孩子的管家的身上。
This is happening to the gardener who took care of your house.
这正发生在帮你打理房子的园丁的身上。
This is happening to the guy who washed the dishes in the fancy restaurant you went to last week.
这正发生在你上周去的高级餐厅里的洗碗工的身上。

美墨边境 一个对人性的个人请愿

This is happening to the people who deliver the newspaper in the mornings.

这正发生在今早给你送报纸的人的身上。
This is your community, these are the people who have lived side by side with you.
这是你的社区,这些是与你一起生活的人。
Treated you well, treated you with respect, taken care of your kids, taken care of your grandparents.
他们对你很好,他们尊重你,照顾你的孩子,照顾你的祖父母。
This is Luis, this is Laura, this is Jaime.
这是路易斯,这是劳拉,这是杰米。
This isn't some abstract, "Oh, it's happening at the border" -- this is happening in our community, right now.
这不是什么抽象的个别情况,“哦,这发生在国界线那”--这正发生在你的社区,就是现在!
And the danger in this stuff is once you start normalizing absurdities and atrocities,
这其中的危险是,你一旦常规化这些谬论和暴行,
people think that those instruments are legitimate.
人们便会认为那些处理方式合理合法。
So you get school boards sending out letters like this:
所以你会收到校董的来信:
"Dear Parent, because your kid owes lunch money to the cafeteria,
“亲爱的家长,你的孩子因为欠学校餐厅午饭钱,
the result may be that your child will be taken away and put in foster care."
所以他可能会被带走,送到寄养家庭。”
This is going out from school boards because people think, "Well, that seems to be an instrument of deterrence."
这样的信件将会从校董发出,因为人们认为,“嗯...这看起来是一个威慑方式”。
When you board an airplane, before kids, before first class, soldiers in uniform board.
当你登机的时候,在孩子和头等舱旅客之前,身着制服的士兵优先登机。
Some of them are immigrants. Here's a contract: join the army, serve your term, be honorably discharged, get citizenship.
其中的一些是移民。这里是一份合同:参军,任职服务,光荣退伍,获得公民身份。
We are rescinding those contracts after they have been signed.
他们签订合同后,我们开始千方百计解除它。
And if those soldiers are killed in action, we are deporting their wives, and sometimes, their children.
如果那些士兵殉职,我们就把他们的妻子驱逐出境,有时包括他们的孩子。
These are the people who protect us. These are the people that we honor. These are the brave.
这些是保护我们的人,这些是我们赋予荣誉的人,他们是勇士。
And this is how we're treating them. These are not the people who cross the border illegally.
然而这是我们对待他们的方式。他们不是非法跨越国界线的人。
Once you start allowing this kind of behavior, it normalizes into a society, and it rips the society apart.
可你一旦允许该行为的“非法性”,它将会被社会常规化,也将把社会弄得四分五裂。
Countries are built on the hard work and grit of immigrants; we are all immigrants.
国家是建立在移民的辛苦劳动和毅力勇气上的,我们都是移民。
We just came at different times.
我们只是在不同的时间来到这里。
Fifty-five percent of this country's main businesses, the most successful businesses in this country, the unicorns,
这个国家55%的主要公司,国内最成功的公司,那些天之骄子,
are built by people who came as foreign students or as immigrants, and they're the founders or the cofounders.
它们的创办者或共同创办者,都主要由外国学生或移民担任的。
Well, here's what's happened over the last three years to the best brains in the world.
但在过去三年里,这才是世界最强大脑们的真正待遇。
Forty-two percent of them did not get visas or chose not to get visas. This is how you wipe out an economy.
其中42%的人,没有拿到签证,或是选择不申请签证。这是你如何打击经济的。
This isn't about kids and borders. It's about us.
这无关乎于孩子和国界,这关于我们。
This is about who we are, who we the people are, as a nation and as individuals. This is not an abstract debate.
这关乎于我们是谁,关乎于我们人民是谁,在一个国家和无数个人的层面上,这不是抽象的辩论。
A lot of us like to think if we had been back when Hitler was rising to power,
我们很多人喜欢想:如果我们身处于希特勒掌权的时候,
we would have been out in the street, we would have opposed him, we would have stopped Mengele.
我们肯定会走上街头,我们肯定会反对他,我们肯定会阻止门格勒。
A lot of us like to think, if we had been around during the '60s, we would have been with the Freedom Riders.
我们很多人喜欢想:如果我们身处于上世纪60年代,我们必将于出现在自由乘车运动者的队伍中,
We would have been at that bridge in Selma.
我们必将出现在赛尔马桥的游行人群中。
Well, guess what? Here's your chance. It's now.
但你猜怎么着?这里有个机会,就是现在。
And as you're thinking about this stuff, it's not just the giant acts,
当你在思考这件事的时候,这不仅是个壮举,
it's not just go and block the bridge or chain yourself to something.
这不仅是去堵塞那座桥,或是把你自己捆绑在某个东西上。
It's what you do in your daily lives.
而应该是你每天都在做的事情。
The Harvard Art Museum just opened a show on how artists think about immigration and building a home somewhere else.
哈佛美术馆刚举办了一个特展,是关于艺术家们对移民,以及在其他地方安居的想法。
And people come out of that show and they're pretty shaken.
看完展览的观众都表示很震撼。
There was a blank wall at the end.
展览最后有一面白墙。
And the curators did something that usually doesn't happen -- they improvised.
策展人做了一件不同寻常的事:即兴创作。
They drew four lines, and put in two words: "I belong."
他们画了4条线,写了3个字:“我属于”。
So you come out of this exhibit, and you can take a picture in front of it.
所以当你看完展览出来的时候,你可以在这墙前拍照。
I can't tell you the impact that has on people
我无法告诉你这对于人们有多大影响,
I watched people come out of this, and some of them sat in front of that picture, took a picture,
我看到人们出来,有的坐在了那副画面前,拍了张照,
and they had a great, big grin on their face, and some people just had tears.
脸上露出灿烂的笑容;有的面带泪光。
Some people hugged and brought in strangers, others brought in their family.
有的相拥,把陌生人揽入臂弯,其他人把家人纳入怀中。
Small acts of kindness go a long, long, long way.
小小的善举,却能持续那么久,那么久。
There is pain going on in your community like you cannot believe.
在你的社区,疼痛正在上演,这是你无法相信的。
So next time you're with a cab driver who may be one of "Them," according to certain people, give that person an extra five bucks.
所以下次打车,对某些人来说是“他们”中一员的出租车司机,多给他一些零钱。
Next time you see a hotel maid, thank her and tip her double.
下次你看到酒店打扫人员,记得感谢她,多给她些小费。
Next time you see your gardener, you see your nanny,
下次你看到家中园丁,看到你家保姆,
you see somebody like this, give them a great, big hug, and tell them they belong. Make them feel like they belong.
看到任何一个类似处境的人,给他们一个大大的拥抱,并告诉他们“你属于这里”。让他们感到“我们属于这里”。
It's time for big policies, but it's also time for big acts of kindness.
是时候制定重大政策了,也是时候做出巨大善举了。
Because we have to reclaim who we are, we have to reclaim this nation.
因为我们必须回归本我,我们必须把这个国家恢复原样。
And we cannot sit there and watch this shit going on.
我们不能坐以待毙看着这个“鸿沟”一直加深。
This has got to stop, it's got to stop now. Thank you.
这必须停止,现在必须停止!谢谢!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
cruelty ['kru:əlti]

想一想再看

n. 残酷,残忍,残酷的行为,虐待

联想记忆
compassionate [kəm'pæʃənit]

想一想再看

adj. 有同情心的 vt. 同情

 
instrument ['instrumənt]

想一想再看

n. 乐器,工具,仪器,器械

联想记忆
mockery ['mɔkəri]

想一想再看

n. 嘲弄,笑柄,蔑视

联想记忆
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
release [ri'li:s]

想一想再看

n. 释放,让渡,发行
vt. 释放,让与,准

联想记忆
improvised ['imprəvaizd]

想一想再看

adj. 临时准备的;即兴的 v. 即兴创作;临时做,临

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
questioning ['kwestʃəniŋ]

想一想再看

n. 质问 v. 询问,审问(question的现在分词

 
convince [kən'vins]

想一想再看

vt. 使确信,使信服,说服

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。