手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

印度清洁空气五步法

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Let me tell you a story from China. In 2014, China declared war on pollution.

让我与各位分享一个发生在中国的故事。2014年,中国向污染宣战。
In November that year, there was an international summit there.
同年11月,有一场国际峰会在那里举行。
Presidents and prime ministers from many countries arrived.
许多国家的总统和首相抵达中国。
So industries around Beijing were shut down, half the cars were taken off the road.
因此,当时北京周边的工业生产都被要求暂停运营,有一半的机动车被禁止上路。
That week, I took a photograph of the unusually blue sky in Beijing.
那周,我拍下了北京非同寻常的蓝天。
A few days later, when the summit had ended, the factories were humming again, the sky had again turned light grey.
几天后,峰会结束,那些工厂再度开工,天空再次变回了浅灰色。
So newspapers started urging the government to make the blue skies permanent.
所以各大报纸媒体开始敦促政府实行措施,让天空永远变回蓝色。
Then in early 2015, a private citizen produced a documentary on air pollution called "Under the Dome."
之后,在2015年初,一位中国公民制作了一部关于空气污染的纪录片,名为《苍穹之下》。
Just within four days, it was viewed 300 million times, and millions more continued discussing it on social media.
仅在4天内,就有3亿人次观看,并且上百万人开始在社交媒体上讨论这话题。
Eventually, the government acted, and by 2018,
最终,政府采取了措施,到了2018年,
the bulk of the Chinese population had witnessed a decline in air pollution by 32 percent on average.
众多的中国人民都已见证了空气污染的缓解,污染指数平均下降了32%。
When will we demand clean air in India? I have a six-year-old daughter.
那我们要何时才会要求让印度获得清洁的空气?我有一个6岁的女儿。
Every morning, when I drop her to the school bus stop, I have to remind her not to take off her mask.
每天早上,当我送她去校车点时,我一定会提醒她不要摘下口罩。
That's the kind of world we live in.
这就是我们现在居住的世界。
One day she pointed me to an advertisement for a face wash,
有一天,她指着一个洗面奶广告给我看,
which claimed that the polluting particles lodged deeply in our skin could be miraculously washed off.
广告声称,该产品可以神奇地清洁残留于我们皮肤深层的污染颗粒。
But what of the particles lodged in our lungs?
但我们肺中的污染颗粒又该如何清除?
When it's difficult to make out the difference between the lung of a smoker and the lung of a nonsmoker,
当非吸烟者和吸烟者的肺部一样糟糕的那天到来的时候,
we have a real problem, because I can run an air purifier at home, but can I lock up my daughter at home?
我们便遇上了真正的问题,因为我在家可以用空气净化器,但是我能把我的女儿锁在家吗?
Air pollution is the great leveler.
空气污染让所有人变得平等。
It affects us all, rich and poor, city dweller or village folk, those living inland or those living on the coast,
它影响我们所有人,不论贫穷还是富有,城市居民还是乡村人口,居住在内陆还是沿海地区,
and it's affecting our health, our economic growth, our quality of life.
它影响着我们的健康,我们的经济增长,我们的生活品质。
In 2017, more than 1.2 million deaths in India were attributable to air pollution.
2017年,在印度超过120万人的死亡可以归因于空气污染。
That's more than those deaths caused by HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria or diarrhea.
这远远超过艾滋病、结核病、疟疾或腹泻的死亡人数。
At the Council on Energy, Environment and Water, my colleagues find that today,
在“能源、环境与水理事会(CEEW)”,我的同事们发现,
one in two Indians is breathing air that does not meet our air quality standards.
在今天,两个印度人中就有一个,正在呼吸着不符合空气质量标准的空气。
And the economic impact of this public health crisis is more than 80 billion dollars every year.
而且这公共卫生危机对经济的影响每年超过800亿美元。
At CEEW, my colleagues find that 80 percent of Indians can breathe clean air if we adopted stringent pollution controls.
在CEEW,我的同事们发现,如果我们采用严格的污染控制措施,那么80%的印度人就可以呼吸到洁净的空气。
So here is my vision for India. In 2027, when we are celebrating our 80th year of independence,
所以这是我对印度的愿景:在2027年,在我们庆祝印度独立80周年之际,
can we ensure that, by then, 80 cities in India have reduced air pollution by 80 percent?
我们是否可以保证,到那时印度的80座城市能将空气污染指数降低80%?
Let's called this Mission 80-80-80, and this is possible, but the role of citizens is going to be critical.
让我们称它为“使命80-80-80”,这是可能实现的,但公民的角色变得非常关键。
To combat air pollution, we have to create a democratic demand for clean air. We can make this happen.
为对抗空气污染,我们需要为洁净空气创造民主的需求。我们能做到。
First, we have to educate ourselves.
首先,我们必须自我教育。
Low-cost sensors give us real-time information about the air quality,
低成本传感器能让我们实时获取空气质量的信息,
but we still need information about how to interpret it and how to act.
但是我们仍旧需要关于如何解释指标以及如何应对的信息。
So we need to target information to schools and children, to resident welfare associations, to the elderly, who are more at risk.
这样我们就能将信息传递给学校以及孩童,传递给居民福利协会,传递给有更高受害风险的老年人。
You know, when the temperature outside is 30 degrees versus 40 degrees, we know how to dress, we know what to do, what not to do.
当室外气温是30度或是40度的时候,我们知道穿多少衣服,我们知道该做什么事,不该做什么事。
We need, similarly, information on what precautions to take when the air quality outside is poor, very poor, severe or hazardous.
同样,在室外空气质量等级为较差、很差、严重或有害的时候,我们也需要知道如何采取防护措施。

印度清洁空气五步法

Second, we need to become active monitors.

第二,我们需要变成主动监测者。
Today, most Indian cities and much of rural India have no air quality monitoring at all.
今天,印度的大部分城市和一些乡村根本还未开始进行空气质量监测。
So we need to demand that air quality sensors are installed in every constituency.
因此我们需要要求每个地区都安装空气质量感应器。
Today, in Parliament, who is going to stand up for us as the air quality warrior?
如今,在议会,谁会作为空气质量的战士支持我们?
When enforcement agencies land up at polluting sites or dust-spewing construction sites,
当执法机构出现在污染现场或是尘土飞扬的建筑工地时,
their whack-a-mole approach doesn't always work,
他们突击检查的方法不见得都会有用,
because as soon as their attention turns somewhere else, the offenders go back to business as usual.
因为只要他们的注意力转向别处,那些违规者就会马上继续干“坏事”。
We citizens have to become the fire alarms.
我们公民需要成为火警。
We have to demand emergency call-in numbers and specialized task forces that can respond in real time to pollution sites.
我们必须要求能够实时响应污染现场的紧急求助电话和专门的工作组。
So we need not just the authority but the enforcement strength to crack down.
这样,我们不再只依靠当局,还有执法力量来共同打击空气污染源。
Third, we have to be prepared to pay a price,
第三,我们需要做好付出代价的准备,
whether it's for cars using BS6 fuel or for more expensive electricity from cleaner power plants.
不论是使用BS6燃料的汽车,还是更加昂贵的来自清洁能源电厂的电力。
Last year, just before Diwali,
去年,就在排灯节前,
I took a surprise inspection of polluting industries in an unauthorized industrial area just outside of Delhi,
我在德里郊外一个污染工业未经许可的工业区进行突击检查,
and I found polluting firecrackers were being sold.
我发现非环保鞭炮正被出售。
The Supreme Court had mandated only green firecrackers could be sold, but those were nowhere to be found.
最高法院规定只允许绿色环保鞭炮的贩卖,但它们却无处可寻。
But the polluting ones were available. Why? Because we were ready to buy.
然而非环保鞭炮却仍旧能买到。为什么?因为我们愿意购买。
As citizens, we have to reduce the demand for these polluting products or be prepared to pay more for cleaner products.
作为公民,我们必须减少对污染产品的需求,或做好准备用更高价购买更环保的产品。
Fourth step: let's build some empathy for our fellow citizens.
第四步:我们需要建立对彼此的同理心。
How much does it take to keep a night guard warm rather than force them to burn rubbish to stay warm in winter?
我们需要多少金钱和代价来为夜间值班警卫供暖,使他们不需要在冬夜燃烧垃圾来取暖?
Or, let's take farmers.
或者,我们以农民为例。
You know, it's very easy to blame them for burning the stubble of the rice paddy crop every winter, which causes air pollution.
责怪他们每个冬天燃烧麦茬的行为造成空气污染很容易。
It's much harder to understand that it's the combination of our agricultural policy and our groundwater crisis
但难的却是我们的农业政策再加上地下水危机,
that often leaves the farmer with no option but to burn the stubble.
才使得农民别无他法,只能选择燃烧麦茬。
So we need to draw in the urban poor laborer or the rural poor farmer into our collective call for clean air.
因此我们需要拉拢城市贫困劳动力,或乡村贫困农民加入我们争取洁净空气的集体呼吁。
Farmers come and tell us that they want to adopt sustainable agriculture, but they need some help.
有农民告诉我们,他们想要采用可持续农业,但他们需要一些帮助。
And fifth, we have to change our lifestyles.
第五,我们必须改变我们的生活方式。
Yes, public transport is often not available, but the choice to buy a cleaner, less polluting private vehicle is ours.
没错,公共交通并非通常触手可得,但我们可以选择购买更清洁、少污染的私家车。
The choice to segregate and recycle household waste is ours.
也可以选择分类并循环使用家庭垃圾。
You know, in Surat after the 1994 plague, citizens there take pride in keeping their city one of the cleanest in the country.
在1994年瘟疫过后,苏拉特的市民非常自豪,因为他们的城市成为了全国最干净的城市之一。
Down south in Mysore, public-private partnerships and citizen-led eco clubs
在迈索尔的南部,公私合作伙伴和公民主导的环保俱乐部
are coming together to reduce, segregate and recycle waste in a manner that landfills can be eliminated altogether.
正在同心协力减少、分类和回收利用垃圾,以完全消除垃圾填埋。
Now I'm not saying that officials have no responsibility here,
我不是在说官员们在这方面没有责任,
but it is our collective apathy that takes the pressure off of our parliamentarians, the bureaucrats or the enforcement agencies.
但正是我们的集体淡漠,卸下了议员、官员和执法机构肩上的压力。
Mission 80-80-80 will only begin when we demand it.
“使命80-80-80”只有在我们的要求下,才会开始。
We have to create a democratic demand for clean air,
我们需要为清洁空气创造民主需求,
because citizens, you and me, can decide what kind of air we breathe. Thank you.
因为公民,你和我,可以决定我们想要呼吸何种空气。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
severe [si'viə]

想一想再看

adj. 剧烈的,严重的,严峻的,严厉的,严格的

联想记忆
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 
rubbish ['rʌbiʃ]

想一想再看

n. 垃圾,废物,废话
v. 贬损

 
laborer ['leibərə]

想一想再看

n. 劳动者,劳工 =labourer(英)

 
mask [mɑ:sk]

想一想再看

n. 面具,面罩,伪装
v. 戴面具,掩饰,遮

 
population [.pɔpju'leiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数

联想记忆
critical ['kritikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 批评的,决定性的,危险的,挑剔的
a

 
supreme [sju:'pri:m]

想一想再看

adj. 最高的,至上的,极度的

 
stringent ['strindʒənt]

想一想再看

adj. 严格的,(银根)紧缩的,变紧的

联想记忆
inland ['inlənd]

想一想再看

adj. 内陆的,国内的
adv. 内陆地

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。