手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

密歇根州弗林特市水资源危机的创造性解决方案

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So, in 2016, I was commissioned to produce a photo essay about the water crisis in Flint, Michigan.

在2016年,我受托制作一本专题摄影报道,内容是关于密歇根州弗林特市的水资源危机。
And that's been going on since 2014.
该危机是从2014年开始的。
And I accepted the commission with the idea that I would photograph three generations of women dealing with the crisis on a daily basis.
我接受了委托,想着我可以拍摄三个世代的女性如何应对日常水资源危机。
I was fortunate to meet two best friends, artists, activists and poets Amber Hasan and Shea Cobb, who took me around Flint.
我很有幸认识两位最棒的朋友:艺术家、活动家和诗人安珀·哈桑和谢伊·科布,他们带我逛了弗林特。
As a school bus driver, Shea Cobb became the central figure of the photo essay,
谢伊·科布是一名校车司机,成为了专题摄影的中心人物,
along with her mother, Ms. Renée, and her eight-year-old daughter, Zion.
与她的母亲蕾妮女士以及她8岁的女儿锡安一道。
I obsessively followed Shea's school bus routes.
我十分着迷地跟着谢伊的校车。
And when Shea wasn't driving the bus, she would be watching over Zion, making sure she was studying.
当谢伊不在开车的时候,她会照看锡安,确保她有在学习。
I embedded myself in every intimate facet of Shea's life.
我全身心融入并感受谢伊生活的方方面面。
When Shea took me to Zion's school, and I saw the water fountains covered with signs that said, "Contaminated. Do not drink,"
当谢伊带着我去锡安的学校时,我看到饮水处挂着许多标志,上面写着:“受污染,不可饮用”。
I couldn't pick up my camera to photograph it.
我无法拿起相机记录这个场景。
It rocked me to the core to see that in America, we can go from fountains that say "Whites" or "Blacks only,"
我感到非常震惊,竟然会在美国看到这种事,那些饮水处的标示从“仅限白人”或“仅限黑人”,
to today seeing fountains that say, "Contaminated water. Do not drink." And somehow, that's acceptable?
到现在所见的那个标志,“受污染,不可饮用”。而这竟然是可以接受的?
The residents in Flint have been forced to drink with, cook with and bathe with bottled water,
弗林特的居民不得不被迫饮用瓶装水,并且用瓶装水来烧饭、洗澡,
while paying the highest water bills in the country for water that is infected with deadly legionella bacteria.
与此同时,他们支付着国家高昂的水费,正使用着被致命军团菌感染的水。
It was natural for me to go to Flint,
我去弗林特没觉得不适应,
because industrial pollution, bacteria-contaminated water were all too familiar for me
因为工业污染、被细菌污染的水,对我来说再熟悉不过了,
growing up in my hometown, Braddock, Pennsylvania, where my mother and I battled cancer and autoimmune disorders like lupus.
因为我成长的家乡也是如此--宾夕法尼亚布拉多克,在那里,我和我母亲一起对抗癌症和自身免疫性疾病,例如狼疮。
Our 14-year collaboration, "The Notion of Family," was created out of our struggle to survive environmental racism,
我们14年的合作成果《家庭观》,是建立在我们的挣扎之上,我们努力求生存,对抗环境种族主义、
healthcare inequity and chemical emissions that were being deregulated and released from the United States Steel Corporation,
医疗保健不平等,以及那些对美国钢铁公司化学物质排放管制的松懈,
making Braddock the town with the highest asthma and infant mortality rates in the country.
让布拉多克小镇有着整个国家最高的哮喘和婴儿死亡率。
From the Monongahela River to the Flint River, in the words of W.E.B. Du Bois,
从莫农加希拉河到弗林特河,用杜波依斯的话来说,
"The town, the whole valley, has turned its back upon the river.
“这个小镇,整个峡谷,已经背弃了这条河流。
It has used it as a sewer, as a drain, as a place for throwing their waste."
把它当作了下水道,排水沟,成为了一个丢垃圾的地方。”
General Motors has been cited for dumping chemicals in the Flint River for decades.
数十年来,通用汽车都因为在弗林特河倾倒化学药品而被传讯。
When my photo essay "Flint is Family" came out in August of 2016,
当我的专题摄影《弗林特是家》在2016年8月发行时,
it was released to remind America that although Flint was no longer headline news, the water crisis was far from over.
它的目的是为了提醒美国尽管弗林特不再是新闻头条,水资源危机却还是没有结束。
And, of course, I knew it was going to take more than a series of photographs on my part to bring relief to the people in Vehicle City.
当然,我知道,光是在我这里推出一个摄影合集,还不足以给这座汽车城的人们带来慰藉。
Shea and I bonded over our mothers and grandmothers.
谢伊和我是因为我们的母亲和祖母而产生的连结。
Amber and I bonded over our battles with lupus.
而安珀和我是因共同对抗狼疮建立了友谊。
Together, we decided to remain in each other's life and continue our creative efforts.
我们一起决定留在彼此的生活中,并继续我们具有创造性的努力。
In 2017, Shea and Amber cofounded artist collective The Sister Tour, whose mission is to provide a safe space for Flint artists.
在2017年,谢伊和安珀共同创办了艺术家集团“姐妹之旅”,旨在为弗林特艺术家们提供安全的空间。
One year later, I mounted my solo exhibition, "Flint is Family," here in New York City at Gavin Brown's Enterprise on West 127th Street.
一年后,我在纽约西127街上的加文布朗画廊中,筹备了个人展《弗林特是家》。
As the audience approaches the facade of the building, they see a 30-foot billboard.
当观众走近建筑立面时,他们会看到一个30英尺的广告牌。
The 30-foot billboard is made of three large color negatives
这个30英尺的广告牌由三个大型彩色底片组成,
with the message "Water Is Life," spelled out in Nestle water bottles by The Sister Tour.
上面有着由“姐妹之旅”用雀巢水瓶拼写出的“水是生命”的信息。
Nestle, the largest water-bottling company in the world,
雀巢,世界上最大的瓶装水公司,
pumps 400 gallons of water per minute out of aquifers in Lake Michigan, nearly free of charge.
从密歇根湖的蓄水层每分钟抽取400加仑的水,几乎不用花钱。
The company also extracts millions of liters of water from First Nation reservations, while they have no access to clean water at all.
雀巢也从原住民保留区内抽取上百万升的水,尽管他们已经无法获取干净的水资源。
This is a fundraiser print that I used to raise money to send The Sister Tour to different venues to educate people on the ongoing crisis.
这是我曾经用来筹集资金的活动图片,资金用于把“姐妹之旅”送往各地来教育人们关注这个不断发酵的危机。
I also continued to keep it in the public eye by producing countdown flags that were raised on institutions across the country.
我也通过在国家各个机构前挂起倒计时旗帜,将这事持续曝光在公众眼中。

密歇根州弗林特市水资源危机的创造性解决方案

This past June, Amber emailed me with the news

在刚过去的6月,安珀写邮件告诉我一个新闻,
that Michigan's attorney general dropped all criminal charges in the Flint Water Crisis investigation,
称密歇根总检察长在弗林特水危机的调查中放弃了所有刑事指控,
where eight state and city employees were facing charges as serious as manslaughter.
在这调查中,有8名州和市的政府雇员本应面临着严重到过失杀人罪同等的指控。
I could no longer idly stand by and wait for the government to do its job.
我无法再袖手旁观,等待政府去尽责了。
Justice has been delayed, and justice has been denied.
公正已经被拖延,而且,公正已经被否认。
It's been five years, and we're still waiting on justice for the men, women and children in Flint.
已经5年了,然而我们依旧在等待弗林特的男人、女人和孩子们获得公正。
I asked Amber, "What can I do?"
我曾问安珀,“我能做什么?”
She told me about a man named Moses West that she met in Puerto Rico, who invented a 26,000-pound atmospheric water generator.
她告诉我,她在波多黎各遇到一个名叫摩西·韦斯特的男人,在大气水生成器的项目上投资了2.6万英镑。
Amber took Moses to elected officials in the city of Flint.
她带着摩西找到了弗林特当地的公职人员。
None of them seemed interested in bringing the machine for relief to Flint at all.
他们没有一个人对引进这样的机器从而解决危机感兴趣。
Amber needed to get the machine from a military base in Texas all the way to Flint.
安珀需要从德州的军事基地弄来这台机器,一路带到弗林特。
Nobody in Flint had that kind of money lying around.
在弗林特,没人有足够的经济能力为此支付。
And it was at that point that I decided to take the proceeds from my solo exhibition "Flint is Family,"
于是在那时,我决定把我从个人展《弗林特是家》得到的收益,
along with the generous match grant from the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation, and sent it to Moses West.
以及来自罗伯特·劳森伯格基金会慷慨提供的比赛奖金,一起交给了摩西·韦斯特。
This past July, Moses West and his atmospheric water generator arrived to Flint, Michigan,
在刚过去的7月,摩西·韦斯特和他的大气水发生器到达了密歇根弗林特市,
on North Saginaw between Marengo and Pulaski, and is actually still there right now, operating.
被安置在马伦戈和普拉斯基之间的北萨吉诺,这台机器现在依旧在那运作着。
This community that sits three miles from downtown has been stripped of its schools, access to healthy grocery stores and clean water.
这个距离市区3公里的社区已经关闭了学校,没有健康的杂货店,也没有干净的水。
Socially, it's viewed as a violent, poor community. But I see something completely different.
在社会上,它被视为暴力且贫穷的社区。但是我看见的景象却完全不同。
Moses, an officer, Ranger, veteran, was very clear about his water rescue mission:
摩西是一位军官、突击队员和退伍军人,对自己拯救水资源的使命非常清晰:
Bring relief of free, clean water to the people in Flint.
给弗林特的人民带来免费、干净的水。
Teach them how to use the machine, teach them how to take care of it, and most importantly, take ownership of the machine.
教会他们如何使用机器,教会他们如何维护机器,还有最重要的是,主动为机器承担所有者的责任。
Tell everybody across the city to bring all their containers and come and take as much water as they can stock up on,
告诉市里每一个人带上他们的容器来这里灌水,尽可能装满他们的容器,
especially before the winter season hits; the machine doesn't extract moisture in freezing temperatures.
特别是在冬天来临之前;这台机器不会在冰冻的气温下抽取水分。
This technology pulls air through a high-volume air filter.
它的技术核心是将空气压入大容量空气过滤器。
It mechanically creates condensation, which produces 2,000 gallons of water per day.
水气自动冷凝,每天产生2千加仑的水。
Residents are free to walk up to the machine anywhere between 9am and 8pm daily and take as much as they want,
居民可以在每天早上9点到晚上8点前来使用机器,并且随意取水,
alleviating them from standing in long lines for bottled water.
而免于为领取瓶装水大排长龙。
I've been at the machine, interviewing people, asking them, "What does it mean to see Moses and his machine in community?"
我去到机器那里,采访人们,问他们,“摩西和他的机器的到来,对你意味着什么?”
And, "What has it been like living without access to clean water?"
以及“没有干净水源的生活是怎么样的?”
Alita told me, "It's a miracle that God gave Moses the knowledge and technology to provide us with pure drinking water."
艾丽塔告诉我,“这简直是一个奇迹,上帝把摩西的知识和技术带给我们,给我们带来了可以喝的纯净水。”
She also told me that prior to the machine coming, she had severe headaches,
她也告诉我,在那台机器出现之前她有很严重的头疼,
and the water made her so sick to her stomach, she couldn't eat.
那些污染的水,使她的病痛从头扩散到了胃,她无法进食。
Tina told me that the lead-contaminated water made her hair fall out.
蒂娜告诉我,铅污染的水让她脱发。
Usually, she's weak and very light-headed. Since using the machine, she's had energy and strength.
她很虚弱,经常感到头晕目眩。但是自从开始用那台机器后,她的体质和气色都有了明显好转。
David, he was overwhelmed with joy that someone from Texas cared.
大卫对德州会有人在意这件事感到非常高兴。
When he tasted the water, he thought to himself, "Now, this is the way God intended water to be."
当他尝到机器供给的水时,他想:“这是神创造的水该有的样子。”
He brings three seven-gallon containers to refill to use at his barbecue stand.
他带着3个曾经用于他烧烤小摊的7加仑容器来灌水。
Through creativity and solidarity, Amber Hasan, Shea Cobb, Tuklor Senegal, The Sister Tour, myself, the people of Flint,
通过创意和团结,安珀·哈桑,谢伊·科布,图克洛·塞内加,姐妹之旅,我,弗林特的人们,
Dexter Moon, Moses West and his atmospheric water generator have been able to provide 120,000 gallons of free, clean water.
德克斯特·莫,摩西·韦斯特和他的空气制水机已为人们带来了12万加仑免费、干净的水。
The people in Flint deserve access to clean water. Water is life.
弗林特的人们值得拥有干净的水。水是生命。
It is the spirit that binds us from sickness, death and destruction.
是一种精神,从疾病、死亡和毁灭中连系你我的精神。
Imagine how many millions of lives we could save
想象一下我们能拯救多少人的生命,
if Moses's machine were in places like Newark, New Jersey, South Africa and India, with compassion instead of profit motives.
如果摩西的机器能够在纽瓦克、新泽西州、南非和印度出现,而且是出于怜悯,而非利润驱动。
I loaded my camera, I locked my focus, and I placed my finger over the shutter release,
我装载好相机,我锁定聚焦点,把手指放在释放快门的地方,
as Shea and Zion went to take their first sip of clean water.
当谢伊和锡安第一次去尝试喝那干净的水。
When the shutter released, I was overcome with a deep sense of joy and righteousness.
当按下了快门的一刹那,我被深刻的喜悦和正义感所征服。
When I sent Shea some of the photographs, she wrote, "Thank you again for the light that you bring to my city."
当我把一些照片寄给谢伊后,她写道,“再次谢谢你,感谢你为我的城市带来光明。”
I immediately replied, "The light was already there within you."
我马上回复道,“光明已经属于你们。”
It's been four years since I've been photographing in Flint, and finally, I've been able to render a poetic justice.
距离我在弗林特拍摄已经4年了,终于我让正义得以伸张。
No matter how dark a situation may be, a camera can extract the light and turn a negative into a positive. Thank you.
不论我们身处的境地有多黑暗,相机都可以收集光明,并带给我们积极的景象。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
miracle ['mirəkl]

想一想再看

n. 奇迹

联想记忆
attorney [ə'tə:ni]

想一想再看

n. (辩护)律师

联想记忆
relief [ri'li:f]

想一想再看

n. 减轻,解除,救济(品), 安慰,浮雕,对比

联想记忆
vehicle ['vi:ikl]

想一想再看

n. 车辆,交通工具,手段,工具,传播媒介

联想记忆
solo ['səuləu]

想一想再看

n. 独奏,独唱
adj. 单独的

联想记忆
exhibition [.eksi'biʃən]

想一想再看

n. 展示,展览

联想记忆
collective [kə'lektiv]

想一想再看

adj. 集体的,共同的
n. 集体

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
commission [kə'miʃən]

想一想再看

n. 委员会,委托,委任,佣金,犯罪
vt.

联想记忆
sewer ['səuə,'sjuə]

想一想再看

n. 下水道,阴沟,裁缝师

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。