'But today I'll tell the Squire about the money, 'he thought.
"但今天我得对他讲钱的事,"他想,
'He'll have to know about that. '
"他必须知道这件事。"
Godfrey was already in the dining-room when his father arrived for breakfast.
父亲来吃早饭时,戈弗雷已经在餐厅了。
The Squire sat down at the head of the table and ordered the servant to bring him some beer.
乡绅在桌子上首坐下,叫用人拿啤酒来。
'Haven't you had breakfast yet, Godfrey? 'he asked.
"还没吃过早饭吗?戈弗雷?"他问。
'Yes, I have, sir, 'replied Godfrey, 'but I was waiting to speak to you. '
"吃过了,先生,"戈弗雷回答,"我等您想说点儿事。"
'Well, you young people have plenty of time, 'answered the Squire.
"你们年轻人总有空闲,"乡绅回答,
'We older ones have to do all the work. '
"可我们老家伙什么活都得干。"
Godfrey looked straight at his father. 'Sir, 'he said bravely,
戈弗雷直视着他父亲。"先生,"他鼓足勇气说,
'I must tell you-something very unfortunate has happened to Wildfire. '
"我必须告诉您--野火发生了不幸。"
'What! Has he broken a leg? I thought you could ride better than that!
"什么!它的腿摔断了?我还以为你会骑马呢!
Well, you can't expect me to pay for a new horse.
别指望我再给你买一匹新马,
I'm very short of money at the moment.
我这一阵没钱,
And I'm angry with Fowler-he still hasn't paid me what he owes me.
我正在为福勒生气--他还没有还欠我的钱。
If he doesn't pay today, he'll go to prison!
今天再不还,我会让他进监狱!"