For the next ninety minutes we will be questioning the candidates for president of the United States,
下面一个半小时的时间里,我们将采访美国总统候选人,
following a format designed and agreed to by representatives of the two candidates.
因为我们都知道两位候选人代表已经设计并同意了一个框架。
The candidates are Vice-President George Bush, the Republican nominee, Governor Michael Dukakis, the Democratic nominee.
这两位候选人是副总统兼共和党提名者乔治·布什,以及州长兼民主党提名者杜卡基思。
Our questions this evening will be about equally divided between foreign and domestic policy matters.
我们今晚的问题将与双方在外交政策和国内政策有关。
The first question by agreement between the two candidates goes to Vice-president Bush.
经两位候选人约好,我们第一个问题是要问副总统布什的。
It is a domestic question. You have two minutes for an answer, Sir.
这是一个有关国内政策的问题。您有两分钟的回答时间。
The polls say the number one domestic issue to majority of voters is drugs.
民意调查显示,大多数国内选民的头号担心是毒品问题。
What is there about these times that drives or draws so many Americans to use drugs?
为什么会有这么多美国人吸毒呢?
'I think we've seen a deterioration of values.
我想是因为价值观的沦丧。
I think for a while as a nation we condoned those, those things we should have condemned for a while, as I recall,
我认为,有一段时间里,我们的国家纵容了吸毒的行为,而我们本来应该花时间来谴责这种行为的。我还记得,
it even seems to me that there was talk of legalizing, eh, or decriminalizing, eh, marijuana and other drugs.
曾几何时貌似还有人主张过将吸毒合法化,将大麻等药物合法化。
And I think that's all wrong. So we've seen a deterioration in values.
我觉得这些想法大错特错。所以这是我们都曾见证过的价值观沦丧。
And one of the things that I think we should do about it, in terms of cause, is to instill values into the young people in our schools.
我觉得对策之一就是从源头上做起,向还在上学的年轻人灌输价值观。
We've got away. We've got this feeling that the value-free education was a thing.
这方面我们做的不够,而我们已经感觉到价值观中立的教育已经是个问题了。
And I don't believe it at all. I do believe there are fundamental rights and wrongs as far as youth.
而我不这么认为。我坚信对年轻人来说是有本质上的对于错的。
And of course, as far as the ... how we make it better. Yes, we can do better on interdiction.
至于怎么改善呢,我认为在禁止吸食毒品方面,我们还可以做得更好。
But we've got to do a lot better on inter-... and we've got to do a lot better on education.
但我们在国内政策和教育方面可以做得更好。
And we have to do ... be tougher on those who commit crimes.
此外,我们要对犯罪分子进行更为严厉地惩罚。
We've got to get after the users more. We have to change this whole culture.
我们要以更大的力度抨击使用毒品的人,必须要改变整个文化。
You know, I saw a movie, Crocodile Dundee.
不瞒您说,我看过一部电影叫《鳄鱼邓迪》。
And I saw the cocaine scene treated with humor, as though this was a humorous little incident.
我们看到有人用打趣的态度对待可卡因吸毒现场,就好像这是一件好笑的小事一样。
It's bad. Everybody ought to be in this thing, entertainment industry, people involved in the school's education.
这样的态度恶劣。每个人都应该参与其中,包括娱乐圈的人,也要为教育界出一份力。
And it isn't a Republican or a Democrat or liberal problem.
这不只是共和党、民主党和无党派人士的事情。
But we have got to instill values in these young people.
而是我们所有人都应该向年轻人灌输正确的价值观。
And ... ah, I have put forward a ... many point drug program the includes what I would do as president of the United States
我提出了一个与毒品有关的项目,内容丰富。
in terms of doing better on interdiction, in terms of doing better in the neighborhoods.
里面涉及到我当选美国总统后会为禁毒和改善居民生活环境所做的事情。
But I think we are all in this together. And my plead to the American people is values in the schools.'
但我认为这是每个人都应该参与的。我也恳请每位美国人为向学生灌输正确的价值观尽一份力。
Governor, you have one minute to respond.
州长先生,您有1分钟的时间作答。
'I agree with Mr. Bush that values are important.
我同意布什先生的说法,即价值观很重要。
But it's important that our leaders demonstrate those values form the top.
但同样重要的是:领导人要以身作则,彰显价值观。
That means those of us who are elected to positions of political leadership have to reflect those values ourselves.
也就是所有当选为政治领袖的人都必须要从自己身上反映出价值观。
Here we are with a government that's been dealing with the drug running petty dictator.
美国政府一直都在打击猖獗的毒品犯罪。
We've been dealing with him. He's been dealing drugs to our kids. Governors like me and others have been trying to do with the consequences.
我们一直都在打击毒品犯罪,而毒品犯罪将魔爪伸向了孩子。包括我在内的州长一直都在努力应对后果。
I remember being in a high school in my own state as we were organizing something we called the Governors Alliance against Drugs,
我记得我在本周高中读书的时候,曾组织过“州长反毒品联盟”。
and a young sixteen-year-old girl coming up to me, desperate, addicted, dependent, saying, Governor, I need help,
当时一个16岁的小女孩向我走来,她深色绝望,看起来毒瘾已深,很难摆脱,她对我说,“州长先生,救救我。”
We are providing that young woman with help.
我们现在正在向那个女孩提供帮助。
But I want to be a President of the United States who makes sure that we never again do business with the drug running petty dictator,
但与此同时,我还想成为美国总统,这样就可以确保不再和毒品犯罪分子
that we never again funnel aid to the contras and the convicted drug dealers.
做交易,确保不会向毒瘾分子和毒枭开便利之门。
Values begin at the top, in the White House. Those are the values I want to be ... bring to Presidency and White House beginning January 1989.
价值观是自上而下的,要从美国政府开始。这些价值观是我想以总统的身份带在身上并带给白宫的,这种价值观从1989年1月开始就应该有了。
Governor, a follow-up question. You have two minutes to answer it.
州长,我想再问您一个问题,您可用2分钟的时间作答。
Are you suggesting, sir, that President Reagan is one of causes of the drug problem in this country?
正如您说过的,里根总统是导致美国毒品问题的原因之一,对吗?
I'm saying that those of us who are elected to the position of political leadership,
吉姆,我想说的是:当选为政治领袖的我们,
Jim, have a special responsibility, not only to come up with programs
肩上负有特殊的责任,并不只是要推行项目而已。
and I have outlined and detailed a very important, very strong program of enforcement as well as drug education of prevention.
我勾勒出了一份详细、重要、力度很强的执法兼毒品预防教育的项目。
And Mr. Bush is right. The two go hand in hand.
布什先生说的对:这两手应该一起抓。
But if our government itself is doing business itself with people who, we know, are engaged in drug profiteering an drug trafficking,
但如果政府本身也与以贩毒为盈利的毒枭合作,
if we don't understand that that sends out a very, very bad message to our young people,
如果我们不知道这对年轻人有不好的影响,
and it's a little difficult for me to understand just how we can reach out to that youngster
那么,对我来说就不知道怎样能帮助刚才我提到的那位女孩
that I talked about and young people like her all over the country and say to them, We want to help you.
以及全国范围内的年轻人,还要对他们说,‘我想帮助你’这样的话
Now, I've outlined in great detail a program for being tough on enforcement home and abroad,
现在,我起草了一份详细的项目,其中写道了如何实现国内外的严厉执法,
doubling the number of drug enforcement agents, having a hemisphere's summit.
如何使毒品执法代理增加一倍,以及如何召开半球会议。
Soon after the twentieth of January, we'll bring out democratic neighbors and allies together here in this hemisphere and go to work together.
不久后,也就是1月20日后,我们将齐聚几个民主邻国和盟友到西半球,进行通力合作。
We also have to take demands seriously. You know we have 5% of the world's population in this country.
我们必须要审慎对待需求。大家都知道美国人口占世界总人口的5%,
We're consuming 50% of the world's cocaine.
而我们的可卡因吸食量却是世界的50%。
And in my state, I'm proud to say we've organized a drug education prevention program
而就我管辖的州而言,我可以骄傲的说,我们已经组织了一个毒品预防教育项目。
which the Federal drug enforcement administration says is a model of the country.
就连毒品强制执行局都说我们是国家的楷模。
We are helping youngsters. We're reaching out to them.
我们在帮助年轻人,向他们身处援助之手。
And we're beginning drug education, prevention, beginning in the early elementary grades
此外,我们开始进行毒品的教育和预防工作,
and every elementary school in ... eh ... in our ... eh ... our state.
对象是我们州各所小学的低年级儿童。
And that's the kind of help we need in every elementary school in the United States of America.
这才是美国所有小学需要的帮助。
And we've got to begin early in the first, second and third grade
我们要早些起步,在一二三年级的孩子身上进行这项工作,
before our youngsters begin to experiment with these very, very dangerous substances.
要早于他们有机会接触到毒品这种危险物品之前。
I guess the question I would ask of Mr. Bush is, how we instill those values?
我要问布什先生的问题是:我们怎样灌输这些价值观呢?
How we create this environment for the drug-free schools that we want of this country?
我们要怎样创建环境才能实现无毒品的校园,打造美国人理想中的校园环境呢?
If he or representatives of the administration...ah...are either dealing with and involving people like Noriega in our foreign policy,
如果政府的一位或者多位代表在我们的外交政策里写出对付诺列加这种人的办法,
or don't pursue that connection in a way that makes it possible for us to cut it off and to be an example to our kids all over this country.
或者即便跟这种人有交涉,也不会让美国儿童接触到毒品。
A minute to ... eh ... rebut, Mr. Vice-President.
副总统先生,您有一分钟的时间反驳。
'On the other day my opponent was given a briefing by the CIA.
前几天,中央情报局给我的这位对手做了一份简报。
I asked for and received the same briefing. I'm very careful in public life about dealing with classified information.
在我的要求之下,中央情报局也给我了我同样的一份简报。对于公共生活里不同类别的信息,我处理起来是很谨慎的。
And what I'm about to say is unclassified. Seven administrations are dealing with Mr. Noriega.
我想说的话却不是分类别的。有7国政府正在处理诺列加的事情。
It was the Reagan-Buch Administration that brought this man to justice.
是李根政府首次起诉诺列加的。
And as the governor of Massachusetts knows there was no evidence that governor ... that ... that eh ...
马萨诸塞州的州长也知道没有证据可以证明诺列加从事毒品贩卖,
Mr. Noriega was involved in drugs, no hard evidence until we indicted him.
在没有实锤的证据之前,我们不能起诉诺列加。
And so I think it's about time we get this Noriega matter in perspective.
所以我觉得是时候正视诺列加的问题了。
Panama is a friendly country. I went down there and talked to the President of Panama about cleaning up their mon... money laundering.
巴拿马这个国家很友好。我跟巴拿马的总统谈过整顿洗钱事宜的问题。
And Mr. Noriega was there. But there was no evidence at that time.
诺列加当时也在场,但那时候没有证据。
And when the evidence was there, we indicted him and we want to bring him to justice
有了证据之后,就能起诉诺列加了。
and so call up for those pickets-up there that are trying to tear down seven different administrations.
所以我们要先对付那些阻碍7国政府办事的势力。