Chapter 3 The hotel-owner
第3章 旅馆老板
It was fine May weather as I travelled north that day,
那天我向北走,五月的天气风和日丽。
and as I watched the fields and the trees and the flowers, I wondered why,
我一边望着田野,树木和花草一边琢磨,
when I had been a free man, I had stayed in London.
我本来是自由之身,呆在伦敦干什么。
I bought some sandwiches at lunch time.
午饭的时候我买了点三明治,
I also bought the morning newspaper and read a little about southeast Europe.
又买了份晨报,读了些有关东南欧的事。
When I had finished, I got out Scudder's black book and studied it.
完事之后,我拿出斯卡德尔的黑笔记本仔细研究。
It was almost full of writing, mostly numbers, although sometimes there was a name.
笔记本差不多写满了,大多是数字,时而有个人名。
For example, I found the words' Hofgaard' , ' Luneville', and'Avocado' quite often.
比如,笔记本上常常可以看到"霍夫高"、"吕内维尔"和"阿沃卡多"。
The word I saw the most was'Pavia'.
见得最多的词是"帕维亚"。
I was certain that Scudder was using a code.
可以肯定,斯卡德尔用的是密码。
I have always been interested in codes; I enjoy games and numbers and things like that.
对于密码我一直觉得很有兴趣;我喜欢游戏,数字这类的东西。
It seemed to be a number code, where groups of numbers replace letters.
看起来用的是数字密码,用一组组数字代表字母。