I was now in the middle of the empty moor, and for the first time I felt really frightened,
现在我身处荒原中央,头一回感到害怕,
not of the police but of the people who knew that I knew Scudder's secret.
不是怕警察,而是怕那些知道我了解斯卡德尔秘密的人。
If they caught me, I would be a dead man.
万一他们抓住我,我就完了。
I reached the top of a low hill and looked around.
我爬到一座小丘的顶上,四下望着。
To the south, a long way away, I saw something which made me tremble…
向南远远望去,我看到一样东西,吓得我浑身发抖……
Low in the sky a small plane was flying slowly across the moor.
在天空有一架小飞机低飞着,缓缓穿过荒原。
I was certain that it was looking for me, and I was also certain that it was not the police.
肯定这是在找我,也肯定不是警察。
I hid low in the heather and watched it for an hour or two as it flew in circles.
我贴身藏在石楠丛中,望着飞机绕圈子,一直望了一两个小时。
Finally it disappeared to the south.
最后飞机消失在南方。
I did not like this spying from the air,
我讨厌这种空中间谍行径,
and I began to think that an open moor was perhaps not the best place to hide.
同时想到开阔的荒原大概并非理想的藏身之处。
I could see distant forests in the east, and decided that would be better country.
东边我可以看到远处的树林,觉得那是个好地方。