手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

一位记忆科学家关于报告骚扰和歧视的建议

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Me Too and Time's Up have highlighted that harassment and discrimination are a shockingly common part of many people's lived reality,

Me Too和Time's Up两场运动,让我们意识到骚扰和歧视是很多人生活中经常遇到的,这很令人震惊,
and that this reality extends into the workplace.
这一情况同样也存在于工作场所。
Whether in tech or finance, sports or the service industry,
不管是科技行业还是金融、运动或是服务业,
every day we seem to hear another story about an abuse of power or another grossly inappropriate workplace behavior.
似乎我们每天都有听说新的滥用权力和行为不端的事情。
People are furious. They're taking to Twitter and social media to voice that this must change.
人们很愤怒。他们到推特和社交媒体上表示是时候做出改变了。
But it's time to move beyond the hashtag.
但是仅仅带话题是不够的。
It's time for us to report harassment and discrimination to those who can fix this mess.
是时候把骚扰和歧视这些问题举报给能解决这些问题的人。
And it's time for us to talk about harassment in a more inclusive way:
也是时候让我们用一种更包容的方式谈起骚扰:
not just about sexual harassment,
不仅仅是性骚扰,
but to encourage people to come forward about harassment and discrimination based on other characteristics such as age, disability or ethnicity.
还要鼓励人们举报针对其它年龄、行为能力和种族的骚扰和歧视行为。
Because only together can we fix the underlying causes and consequences of harassment.
因为只有联合起来,我们才能解决深层次的成因。
You see, most of us will, at some point in our lives, experience workplace harassment or discrimination.
我们大部分人一生中都有面临骚然或歧视的时候。
Research shows that particularly women, people of color and people who openly identify as LGBTQI are likely to be targeted,
调查显示,有色人种和公开承认自己是LGBTQI的人,特别是这些人里的女性更容易被当做歧视或骚扰的目标,
and for some people, this is a pervasive and persistent part of their reality.
对一些人来说,这些是他们生活的常态。
And for most of these people -- 98 percent according to some studies
其中大部分人--调查显示其中98%,
most of these people will never speak up and tell their employer.
永远不会把这些情况说出来或者举报给老板。
Too often, harassment and discrimination is a lonely and isolating experience,
骚扰和歧视常常只能成为无法和他人分享的经历
but we need to help people out from under their desks. We need to empower people to have a voice.
但我们应该把他们解救出来。我们要帮助他们发声。
The reasonable first question that everybody asks once they've been harassed is "What do I do now?"
一般被骚扰的人问出的第一个问题都是:“我现在该怎么办?”
And this is what I want to help you with.
这就是我想帮到你的地方。
Navigating the barriers to reporting can be absolutely dizzying.
引导他们去举报是件很麻烦的事。
How can we speak up in a society that too often discredits or diminishes our experiences?
要怎样在一个互不信任又难以发声的社会讲出自己的经历呢?
How can we speak up in a society that is likely to be retributive towards us?
怎样在一个说出振兴反而有可能伤及自身的时代发言呢?
How can we deal with the silencing that goes on all around us?
怎样面对身边人的冷漠呢?
Making matters worse, often our memories are the only evidence we have of what happened.
更糟糕的是,很多时候记忆是我们证明事情发生过的唯一证据。
Now, here's where I can come in.
我们就可以从这里入手。
I'm a memory scientist, and I specialize in how we remember important emotional events.
我是一名专研记忆的科学家,我研究的是如何记住重要的事情。
I've particularly focused on how the memory interview process can severely impact the evidentiary quality of reports that we produce.
特别是探索记忆的过程是如何影响举报时提供的证据质量的。
A bad interview can lead you to forget details or misremember them
坏的探索过程会让你忘记细节或者记错细节,
while a good interview can forever change your life for the better.
而好的探索过程会让你的生活变得更好。
After looking at lab reports and working, studying this issue both in the courtroom and in research settings,
我看过实验报告,也在课堂和实验室专门研究过,
I've dissected all the different things that can go wrong with our memories that can really threaten your case.
我研究了所有可能影响调查结果的影响记忆的因素。
And now I'm turning my attention to helping people tackle recording and reporting of workplace harassment and discrimination.
现在我把重点转向帮助人们怎样记录和举报工作中遇到的骚扰和歧视。
There's three things that I've learned from my research on this
我从调查中学到了三件事,
that you can immediately apply if you've been harassed or discriminated against at work.
如果你们在工作中遇到了骚扰或歧视,你们可以马上去做。
I want to help you turn your memory into evidence
我想帮你把记忆变成证据,
evidence that even a memory skeptic like me is unlikely to find fault with.
变成连我这样的记忆怀疑论者都找不出问题的证据。
First of all, James Comey had it right.
首先,詹姆斯·科米是对的。
The former head of the FBI used to sit in his car, lock himself in after meetings with the president
这位联邦调查局前局长常常在和总统开完会后把自己锁在车里,
and write down absolutely everything he could remember about what happened.
写下自己记得的几乎一切内容。
The now-famous recordings proved to be quite useful later on. Be like Comey.
这些记录现在很火,这就证明这一方法是很有效的。跟科米学。
Now, you don't need to lock yourself into your car to do this,
你不需要把自己锁进车里
but please, immediately after something happens, I want you to contemporaneously record what happened.
但请在事情发生后立刻记录下发生的一切。
And do this before talking to anyone else about it.
要在告诉别人之前就写下来。
Because as soon as your share your story with friends or family or colleagues or therapists,
因为在跟朋友、家里人、同学或者心理医生说这件事的时候,
you have the potential to distort or change your memory of the event.
你有可能会扭曲或者改变了自己对这件事的记忆。
Uncontaminated, contemporaneous evidence is worth gold.
未经修改的、即时的记忆才是最珍贵的。
Second: the type of evidence matters.
第二,证据的类型也是很重要的。
Sure, you can do a handwritten note of what happens, but how do you prove when you wrote it?
你可以把发生的事手写下来,但怎么证明你是什么时候写的呢?
Instead, pull out your computer or smartphone and make a note that's time-stamped,
所以,用电脑或者智能手机,或者用印有时间的笔记本去写,
where you can prove this was recorded at this time.
这就证明了你是在这个时间写的。
Contemporaneous, time-stamped evidence is better.
即时的、有时间标志的证据更有力。
Finally, make sure what you're writing down is actually relevant.
最后,确保你写的东西都是相关的。

一位记忆科学家关于报告骚扰和歧视的建议

Too often, we see that people bring out Facebook messages, they bring out time-stamped pieces of evidence,

我们经常看见人们拿出脸书上的有时间标志的消息作为证据,
but sure, they're not particularly relevant, they're not particularly useful.
但这些东西并不是特别相关,所以基本没用。
It's easy to write an emotional, unstructured account of what happened
写下一些情绪化的、结构不严密的记录是很容易的
understandable because it's an emotional experience
可以理解因为这件事很容易引起情绪变化,
but those might not actually be the details that matter later on for an investigation.
但这些东西可能并不是之后在调查中会起到作用的细节。
Write down this list. I want you to keep track of this and simply fill in the blanks.
按这个列表写。我希望你们按照这个顺序填表就行了。
First of all, what happened?
首先,发生了什么事?
In as much detail as possible, describe the situation, and do it on the day it happened if at all possible.
尽可能详细的描述事情经过,如果可能的话,最好在事情发生当天写好。
Second, who was there? Were there any witnesses?
其次,谁在现场?有没有其他目击者?
This becomes crucial potentially later on.
这个在后面可能非常重要。
What exact time and date did this happen? What location? Where did this happen?
这件事到底发生在哪一天的什么时间?什么地点?
Who did you tell after the event?
事情发生后你告诉了谁?
How did it make you feel during and after it happened?
这件事发生过程中和发生后,你是什么感觉?
And is there any other evidence such as WhatsApps, photos or emails that might lend more credibility to your case.
有没有其他证据,例如WhatsApps、信息、照片或者邮件等。
These are all details that are incredibly easy to record contemporaneously but are also incredibly easy to forget later on.
这些可以给你的证词增加可信度,这些都是很容易记录下来的细节,但是随后也很容易被遗忘。
Humans, according to research, often overestimate their ability to remember important emotional details later on.
调查显示,人类总是过分高估自己对于十分情绪化的场合发生的小细节的记忆能力。
Assume that you're going to forget. Assume you have to write it down.
请当成自己马上就要忘掉。让自己必须记录下来。
Now, these three pieces of advice are a good start,
现在,这三条建议只是个良好的开始,
but of course they don't overcome a lot of the other barriers to reporting.
因为当然会有很多人无法克服障碍,不愿意去举报。
According to the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which published a report in 2018,
根据平等和人权委员会2018年发布的调查报告,
there's one key recommendation to overcome some of the other fears often associated with reporting these kinds of incidents to your employer.
想要克服在把事情举报给老板的恐惧心理,有一点建议是至关重要的。
One piece of advice that they made? Have an online, anonymous reporting tool.
他们提出了一条建议。就是上网使用匿名举报工具。
Only that way, they say, can you truly overcome many of the fears associated with reporting.
他们说只有这样,你才能真正克服举报时的各种害怕情绪。
Now, in line with this, and informed by what was happening all around me and taking and applying the memory science,
现在遵循着这个原则,加上了解了一些身边人身上发生的事,还有运用了一些记忆科学的原则之后,
the science that I had been doing for many years, I sat down with a number of people and we together created TalkToSpot.com.
也就是我多年来一直从事的科学,我跟几个人一起搭建了这个叫做TalkToSpot.com的网站。
Spot is an online, anonymous reporting tool that helps you record and report workplace harassment and discrimination.
它是一个在线的匿名举报工具,能帮你记录和举报工作场合遇到的歧视和骚扰。
It allows you to do it anonymously, it allows you to do it for free, and it's completely evidence-based.
你可以匿名举报,还是免费的,而且是完全基于证据进行举报。
You don't have to talk to a person, there's no fear of judgment, and you can do it whenever and wherever you need.
你不需要跟人类交谈,不需要惧怕别人评判的眼神,只要你想,随时随地都可以。
Now you have the power to walk through an evidence-based memory interview.
现在你可以进行一次证据充分的举报了。
Now, this is called a cognitive interview.
这个叫有意识的采访。
This is the same technique that police use when they're doing their job properly.
这和警察正常工作时使用的技巧是一样的。
So in best-case scenarios, people who are being asked about important emotional events are being asked in line with the cognitive interview.
最佳的探寻,重要的情绪化事件的方式就是有意识的采访。
Now, this walks you through all the relevant information so that at the end,
它会帮你记录下所有相关的信息,所以最后,
after you've talked to the bot -- which is an automatic messaging system
你跟这个机器人谈过之后--它是个自动回复系统
after you've talked to the bot, it generates a PDF record that's time-stamped and securely signed
你跟这个机器人谈过之后,它会生成一个有时间标志的PDF文档还会有签字,
that you can keep for yourself as evidence in case you want to share it later,
你可自己保留作为证据,自己要给别人看的时候也可以用到
or you can submit it to your employer right away.
或者也可以直接提交给老板。
And in line with recommendations, you can submit it to your employer anonymously.
符合建议,你也可以匿名提交给老板。
But a reporting tool is only as useful as the audience that's listening.
这个举报工具的作用就像是有个人在听一样。
So if your employer is truly committed to change, we've decided to also offer them the tool to respond.
如果你的老板真的想要改变这种情况,我们也给他们提供了回复入口。
So if organizations work with us and are truly committed to doing something about workplace harassment and discrimination,
如果有机构跟我们合作,又是真的想改善工作场合的骚扰和歧视情况,
they're also able to respond to you even if you've chosen to stay anonymous.
即使在你选择匿名的情况下,他们还是可以回复你。
We think it's important that you can work together with your employer to tackle this issue.
我们觉得跟老板合作来解决这个问题是很重要的。
We think that everybody wins when we bring light into this dark issue.
如果能把这些一般看不到的问题拿到阳光下,对所有人都有好处。
Whether it happens to you or to someone you know,
不管这件事发生在你身上还是发生在某个你认识的人身上,
recording and reporting what happened can really improve how we talk about these issues.
记录下来并举报可以真正的改变我们讨论这些问题的方式。
And if you're an organization, this is a call to give your employees access to better and more effective reporting mechanisms.
我们号召给老板一个更好、更高效的举报这个问题的渠道。
We know that the current methods that are used in most organizations don't work effectively.
目前大部分机构采用的方法并不十分高效。
It's time to change that if you're committed to inclusion and diversity.
如果你致力于建造一个更加包容和多样化的社会,现在就是机会。
It's time for us to celebrate our diversity.
此刻我们就应该为多样化庆祝。
It's time for us to give a voice to those who have for too long been denied one.
此刻我们应该给那些长久以来无法发声的人一个发声的机会。
It's time for us to celebrate those who come forward, even if they feel they need to stay anonymous -- to stay masked to do so.
此刻我们应该为那些选择迈出这一步的人鼓掌,就算他们选择匿名--选择保持神秘来这么做。
It's time for a reporting revolution. Thank you.
此刻我们要掀起一场举报的革命。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
potentially [pə'tenʃəli]

想一想再看

adv. 潜在地

 
inclusion [in'klu:ʒən]

想一想再看

n. 包含

 
informed [in'fɔ:md]

想一想再看

adj. 见多识广的 v. 通告,告发 vbl. 通告,

 
current ['kʌrənt]

想一想再看

n. (水、气、电)流,趋势
adj. 流通的

联想记忆
track [træk]

想一想再看

n. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲
v. 跟踪

 
impact ['impækt,im'pækt]

想一想再看

n. 冲击(力), 冲突,影响(力)
vt.

联想记忆
threaten ['θretn]

想一想再看

v. 威胁,恐吓

 
identify [ai'dentifai]

想一想再看

vt. 识别,认明,鉴定
vi. 认同,感同身

 
unlikely [ʌn'laikli]

想一想再看

adj. 不太可能的

 
commission [kə'miʃən]

想一想再看

n. 委员会,委托,委任,佣金,犯罪
vt.

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。