手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 囧司徒每日秀视频 > 正文

美国禁枪与澳大利亚禁枪(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Vicki   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Welcome back.

欢迎回来
So last week as we were watch on the show,
上周我们在节目中提到
last week we learned that while our United States senate
我们美国的参议院
was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures,
连最基本的枪支管制法案都无法通过
Australia had a successful gun control for almost two decade,
而在澳大利亚 这项法案已经施行二十多年了
John Oliver visited there to find out more in part two of our three part series.
因此囧橄榄去了澳洲看看他们是怎么做到的 他此行被拍成了三集纪录片 今天播放第二集
In 1996 following a massacre,
1996年的大屠杀发生后
Australia's conservative government enforced a national buyback of semiautomatic weapons.
澳大利亚政府发起全国性规模的半自动武器回收
While also heavily regulating the purchase and storage of other firearms.
同时加强对枪支购藏的管制
The result was dramatically reduced level of gun violence.
结果是枪击案的大量减少
So why can't we do that here?
那么美国能不能效仿呢
To find out I sat down with long time aid to harry Reid Jim Manly.
为了得到答案 我跟吉姆·曼利进行了一番长谈
The NRA is still a very powerful force in this country.
全国步枪协会在美国势力十分强大
They have four million members who are very, very determined to get their way.
他们的四百万会员坚定的维护他们的持枪权 为了维护这一权利不择手段
And how can a nation of 300 million compete with that?
对呀 所以一个有三亿人口的国家怎么能与他们抗衡呢 你说是吧

美国禁枪与澳大利亚禁枪(2)

It's difficult to understand sometime, isn't it

这件事有时很难理解 对吧
but the fact of the matter that I've got to think long and hard before you support gun control legislation
但事实就是这样 要不要支持枪支管制立法 这是个值得深思熟虑的问题
because you are take on the NRA can be political suicide.
因为一旦对上全美枪支协会 就无异于政治自杀
And the democratic party is working tirelessly to reduce the rate of political suicide among its members.
而美国民主党正在为了降低其成员的政治自杀率而不懈努力着
Surely Australian politicians weren't stupid enough
当然 澳大利亚的政治家们也没傻到
to end their political lives for gun control.
为了支持枪支管制而终结自己的政治生涯
Well, I did.
我就是啊
What?
I did.
我就是
You did what?
你怎么了
I took the stand.
我就公开支持枪支管制了
I was prepared to face the political consequences, and we delivered gun control.
我准备好了要去面临那个后果 于是通过了枪支管制法案
Meets Rob Borebich former premier of Queensland, Australia's most conservative state.
这位是昆士兰州的前任州长 而昆士兰州又是澳大利亚最保守的一个州
In 1996 he was instrumental in enacting gun control,
在1996年 他仍然选择了站在支持者一边
knowing it would cost him his political career in the next election.
明知支持枪支管制会使他在下一次大选中失去所有选票
We paid a high political price but we did the right thing.
从政治意义上说 我们付出了巨大的代价 但我们做的事是正确的
Look, there are Australians alive today because we took that action.
看 就是因为我们制定了这一政策 澳大利亚今天还有人活着
I mean how much say life worth?
相比起来 人命是不是更有价值
But Jim Manly knows that the true public servant has nor important concerns.
但吉姆·曼利清楚的知道 一个真正的人民公仆应该关心的不止于此
What makes a politician successful?
怎样才算是一个成功的政治家
Getting re-elected by his or her constituents.
总是能够获得选民的选票
Right, yeah. That is how you judge success.
嗯 你说得对 原来这就是你评价成功的标准啊
Okay, that—well, getting legislation done.
嗯——还有 通过法令
Is second.
这是第二
Is second, yes.
第二 对
That is second.
这是第二吗
Holly..., that is second?
我靠 这排第二
If I could rewind this tape I would say getting legislation done and getting re-elected by your constituents.
如果能重新录的话 我会说通过法令第一 获得选票第二
But seriously you can't remind—rewind the tape let's go with the answer you gave.
但是 说真的 我们并不能重录 那就确定是你最先说的那个答案吧
If you don't get re-elected,
如果你没有获得选票
you know, you just roadkill in the political process and you're just another loser.
你的政治生涯到此为止 你就还是一个失败者
Tragically not everyone understands this.
悲哀的是 并不是所有人都明白这个道理
What makes a politician successful? Go.
怎样才能算是一个成功的政治家 立刻回答
Making society a better place.
让社会变得更好
No, no, no, Rob, no.
不 不 不 你错了 罗伯
Look, we can—we can actually rewind the tape.
听着 我们——我们可以重新录一遍
Are we rolling?
准备好了吗
What makes a politician successful?
怎样才能算是一个成功的政治家
Your responsibility to govern in the best interests of the people that you serve.
为自己辖区内人民的最大利益负责
Look, Rob, I'm going out on a limb here.
我告诉你啊 罗伯 我这么做是担着风险的
I already told someone else I can't do this when I can.
我跟别人说不能重录 但其实可以
I hope you have a lot of tape.
希望你的录像带够用吧
True success is a lifelong politician like Harry Reid
真正的成功是像哈里·里德一样
whose watered down gun legislation was carefully designed to protect those who needed it most.
给枪支管制法案掺水 以便保护那些最需要保护的人
He has a responsibility as the democratic leader to protect the caucus.
作为民主党领袖 他有责任保护国家核心领导人
The caucus needs to be protected, the caucus does.
嗯 所以需要保护的是国家领导人 是的
They need to be protected politically.
他们需要政治保护
How many political careers have been tragically ended by gun control?
有多少人的政治生涯因为枪支管制而终止了
We've lost some good folks over the years because of their views.
这几年的确有些人因为怀有这样的想法而失去选票
Right. You have a perfectly healthy political career and then bang.
本来政治前途一片光明 然后“砰”的一声 结束了
Just like that.
就是这样
Which means former Australia prime minister John Howard has blood on his hands.
也就是说澳大利亚前任总理约翰·霍华德的手上沾满了鲜血
Do you ever think about the innocent victims of your gun control?
你有没有想起过因为你的枪支法案而受害的无辜者
There were no innocent victims of my—there were no victims at all.
没有无辜的受害者——根本没有
There is the photograph of Rob,
这是罗伯的照片
he was incredibly courageous supporting our laws.
他勇敢地站出来支持枪支法案
But politically he is dead, bang, just like that.
就那么“砰”的一声 但他的政治生涯完蛋了
We lost an election as we all do at some point.
我们所有人都会有失去选票的时刻
But Howard is not alone.
但霍华德不是一个人
His deputy prime minister Tim Fisher also refuses to accept responsibility for these career massacres.
他的副总理蒂姆·费舍尔同样拒绝为这些人终止的政治生涯买单
Oh, you don't look at these faces and feel guilt?
你看着这些脸 难道不觉得羞愧吗
Well, they are alive. And—
他们还活着啊 而且——
They're dead, they're politically dead.
他们死了 从政治方面说 他们已经死了
I hope that those who totally veto any move
我希望那些投票
to bring sensible, semi auction and auction weapon control to the suburbs of America
支持美国城区管制自动和半自动武器的美国政治家们
are also politically dead but physically alive.
也是肉体还活着 但从政治意义上死了
Not if I could help it.
我就不这么想
Never again will a political career end in a senseless act of meaningful legislation.
以后再也不会有人的政治生涯因为徒劳地要通过一项有意义的法案而终结了
The verdict is just all of these, all of them are dead,
从政治意义上来说 这些人都已经死了
politically not physically, physically they are probably safer.
但他们实际上还活着 可能还比以前更加安全的活着
The world's a very dicey thing.
很危险
I mean again, just to reiterate physically they are absolutely fine but it makes you think.
我想再说一遍 他们其实还好好的活着
Unfortunately, what spending time with politically dead Australia politicians
不幸的是 跟这些“死去”的澳大利亚人待在一起的时间
made me think about was how horribly wrong we have it in America.
让我想明白了我们美国人错的有多离谱
Thanks for speak with me Rob. Pleasure.
谢谢你 罗伯 我的荣幸
You are a great human being. Thank you.
你是个了不起的人 谢谢
It's just by all American standards, you are a...politician.
只是按照美国人的标准来说 你是个很差劲的政客
And the fact that that is true is why I am now going to walk into the...ocean.
说到这一点 我要羞愧地去跳海了
In America we're told gun control is not possible.
在美国 总有人告诉我们枪支管制不可能实现
But in Australia, they have shown it is.
但澳大利亚用实际行动证明了枪支管制的可行性
Providing a fantastic lesson for America to ignore.
又提供了一个很好的美国人会无视的教训
John Oliver, we'll be right back.
掌声送给囧橄榄 精彩马上回来

重点单词   查看全部解释    
senseless ['senslis]

想一想再看

adj. 无感觉的,无意识的,不省人事的

 
politician [.pɔli'tiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 政治家,政客

联想记忆
caucus ['kɔ:kəs]

想一想再看

n. 干部会议,政党高层会议 vi. 开干部会议

联想记忆
violence ['vaiələns]

想一想再看

n. 暴力,猛烈,强暴,暴行

 
storage ['stɔridʒ]

想一想再看

n. 贮藏,存储,保管,保管费,仓库,[计]存储器

 
decade ['dekeid]

想一想再看

n. 十年

联想记忆
ignore [ig'nɔ:]

想一想再看

vt. 不顾,不理,忽视

联想记忆
election [i'lekʃən]

想一想再看

n. 选举

联想记忆
compete [kəm'pi:t]

想一想再看

vi. 竞争,对抗,比赛

联想记忆
guilt [gilt]

想一想再看

n. 罪行,内疚

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。