I just saw the last person I ever expected to see.
expect: 期待,等待
我刚看到了一位不速之客。
-Serena: Yeah. how can I say no to that?
是啊,我怎么可能不同意呢?
-Dan: I’m sorry. Vanessa. Vanessa. Hey. This is a surprise.
抱歉,Vanessa ,Vanessa 嘿,真是个惊喜。
-Vanessa: Funny. I could say the same thing.
funny: 滑稽的,有趣的
有趣,我也想这么说。
-Dan: What…what are you doing here?
你来这儿干吗?
-Vanessa: I’m writing an American history paper.
我在写美国历史论文
Wait. that was supposed to be you.
等下,那是你才对。
When did we start lying to each other?
什么时候开始我们对彼此撒谎了?
-Dan: I merely refrained from sharing the truth,
merely: 仅仅,只不过 refrain: 忍住;克制
我只是不想说事实而已,
which would have sounded a lot more like a lie than what I told you.
因为那听起来会比我告诉你的更像是骗人。
-Vanessa: Humphrey.
Humphrey
-Dan: I’m I didn't understand that either, I admit,
admit: 承认
我也不知道是什么意思,我承认。
but what was I going to say? That I was renting a tuxedo
那我该说什么呢? 我租了一件礼服
to attend a masked ball without a mask or an invitation
attend: 参加 invitation: 请柬
参加一个化装舞会,既没面具也没请柬。
to go get a girl who not only has a mask and an invitation,
为了找一个不只有面具和请柬的女孩
but another date?
还有个约会对象。
-Vanessa: At least it's honest.
honest: 诚实的
至少这是实话
-Dan: You…you hate this world.
你讨厌这种生活。
-Vanessa: So do you, or so I thought.
你也是啊,或者我认为的而已。
-Dan: All right, what's going on exactly?
好了,这到底是怎么回事?
Did you follow me here to prove that I was lying?
follow: 跟踪 prove: 证明
你跟着我来这儿为了证明我撒谎?
-Vanessa: Yes, Dan, that's why I’m here.
是啊,Dan 我就是为了这个而来的。
I stalked you because I am just so obsessed with you.
stalk: 无声地追踪(或靠近)猎物(或敌人等) obsessed: 着迷的
我跟踪你因为我太为你着迷了,
Wait. Don't stop there.
等下,还没完。
You're the whole reason I came back to New York,
whole: 整个的
我就是为了你回来纽约的,
cause I just couldn't stop thinking about you.
因为我总是没完没了地想你。